Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrical question!?!?!

Ok,
On one end of my house I have no electrical wiring run outside except for
the 220V (single phase) service to my air conditioner. It has a double pole,
40 amp circuit breaker feeding that air conditioner unit. We want to park
our camper on that end of the house, and I was wondering how safe it would
be to wire up a 110V box from one of the legs of the 220V air conditioner
box? The camper has a 30 amp cord on it, but I took a measurement, and could
only get it to draw about 16 amps with everything running.
I can increase the size of the breaker if needed, but would it cause any
problems with the 220V air conditioner if one leg had 10 or 15 amps drawn
from it?
I don't want to smoke a $3,000.00 AC unit because I didn't want to spend a
few hundred bucks adding some new wiring, but on the other hand I'd rather
not have to add another circuit unless I have to.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Keith Stelter wrote:
Ok,
On one end of my house I have no electrical wiring run outside except for
the 220V (single phase) service to my air conditioner. It has a double pole,
40 amp circuit breaker feeding that air conditioner unit. We want to park
our camper on that end of the house, and I was wondering how safe it would
be to wire up a 110V box from one of the legs of the 220V air conditioner
box?

It would not be safely possible to tap the A/C circuit for a 120 volt
load, because no current carrying neutral is available.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 22:21:10 -0400, "Keith Stelter"
wrote:

[...]

Do you want to run the AC at the same time you are running the camper?

Whether you do or not, you need a neutral to run 110 and it's very
unlikely there is one. I don't know what it takes to add one. I
think you need romex or Bx, whichever your house uses.

Sleep in the back yard. I don't know about yours but mine is nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Keith Stelter" wrote in message
news
[...]

Have someone that knows electrical wiring add the circuit for you.

DO NOT tie onto the air conditioning circuit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
t...
Keith Stelter wrote:
Ok,
On one end of my house I have no electrical wiring run outside except

for
the 220V (single phase) service to my air conditioner. It has a double

pole,
40 amp circuit breaker feeding that air conditioner unit. We want to

park
our camper on that end of the house, and I was wondering how safe it

would
be to wire up a 110V box from one of the legs of the 220V air

conditioner
box?

It would not be safely possible to tap the A/C circuit for a 120 volt
load, because no current carrying neutral is available.

And that's not the only reason!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Again you comment on things you know nothing about.

Are you related to Stormy?????

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The only thing you could do that would be proper and safe, would require
disconnecting the line from the AC and converting it from 240 with ground to
120 with ground, reducing the breaker to 30 amp GFCI and installing a rain
tight outlet for the camper... but then you'd have to run a new feeder for
the AC

Electrical Question fish Home Repair 3 January 30th 06 02:56 AM
Electrical Question [email protected] Home Repair 5 December 5th 05 02:39 AM
Electrical Question William T. Home Repair 6 April 3rd 05 03:55 PM
Electrical Question: 120 to 110 V Julie P. Home Repair 11 March 15th 05 12:05 PM
Electrical Question Steve McDonald Woodworking 38 October 26th 03 10:30 PM