Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Stelter Keith Stelter is offline

Default electrical question!?!?!

Ok,
On one end of my house I have no electrical wiring run outside except for
the 220V (single phase) service to my air conditioner. It has a double pole,
40 amp circuit breaker feeding that air conditioner unit. We want to park
our camper on that end of the house, and I was wondering how safe it would
be to wire up a 110V box from one of the legs of the 220V air conditioner
box? The camper has a 30 amp cord on it, but I took a measurement, and could
only get it to draw about 16 amps with everything running.
I can increase the size of the breaker if needed, but would it cause any
problems with the 220V air conditioner if one leg had 10 or 15 amps drawn
from it?
I don't want to smoke a $3,000.00 AC unit because I didn't want to spend a
few hundred bucks adding some new wiring, but on the other hand I'd rather
not have to add another circuit unless I have to.
Any advice greatly appreciated!