Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Very weird lawn tractor electrical problem

I own a Murray lawn tractor. Have had it for about 9 years. It is
garage kept. In pretty good condition. I do all the routine
maintenance. Change oil, blades, filters etc... have replaced the
battery twice and soliniod once. No other problems.
Today after mowing the back yard I parked it in the garage and shut it
off to go get a drink of water. The key was out and the engine was
off. I heard a loud electrical buzzing like a overhead powerline but
much worse. Sounded like a real loud buzzing. I stuck the key back in
and tried to start the engine, no go. Got off the tractor to see if
the dead man switch in the seat would cut it off. No go.
I was getting worried like it would blow up, so I pushed it out of
the garage and disconnected the battery. Buzzing stopped. Pushed it
back in the garage.
About 2 hours later I reattached the battery. Positive (red) cable
1st. Negative (black) cable second. When I touch the black cable to
the battery terminal the enginge tries to crank over. All I would need
to do is give it gas (choke) and it would probably start. Heres whats
weird. THE KEY IS IN MY POCKET (IGNITION SET TO OFF), THE BRAKE/CLUTCH
IS NOT PUSHED IN (HAS TO BE TO START) AND THE DEADMAN SEAT SWITCH IS
NOT PRESSED IN BECAUSE I AM NOT IN THE SEAT!
It should not be trying to start. There are 3 thing that should keep
it silent, but every time I touch the black battery cable to the
battery it tries to start up. Is this a short of some kind? What do I
do? My grass is almost shin high and I have a good sized yard.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

You need to look at the electrical schematic that came with the tractor.
Obviously it's not gremlins--you have a short from the battery to the
starter to ground which is by-passing the ignition switch and all the
various disconnects and safety switches. Get hold of a multimeter that will
let you check resistance (ohms). Disconnect the battery leads and walk you
way through the system (using the schematic as a guide) and see if you can
find the short to ground. You're looking for a short that is upstream of any
normally functioning component or switch that should prevent this from
happening. I suspect it will be very close to the starter.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to MLD :

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

If the Murray has a starter solenoid/relay like a car (may be part of the
starter) it _may_ have fused/jammed itself with the contacts closed.
Loud buzzing is suggestive of a solenoid/relay problem. But it may
just be a symptom of a short elsewhere.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 4:29?pm, (Chris Lewis) wrote:
According to MLD :

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It's not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.- Hide quoted text -

Replaced the solenoid under the suggestion of a repairman who was too
booked up to make it out to take a look. It worked. The older solenoid
had locked up in a position whick bypassed all the safety switches I
guess. You were right on the money Chris. Thanks for all your help
guys.
PS. In the process of fixing one problem (the tractor) I noticed
another. I have a quarter sized dark spot in the garage sheet rock
ceiling. I touched a screw driver to it and it went through. I reemed
the hole out with my thumb and thats as big as it got. I tried to look
up inside with a small flashlight and saw AC ductwork and the hoses
from the outside AC unit do come in that way. I figure condensation at
best. I put a bucket underneath and the drip is about 1 per minute or
less.
Just goes to show you, it never ends.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sounds like your starter solenoid is stuck or the spring in it broke.

--
Steve Barker

ps.com...

WHY NOT A LAWN TRACTOR ? Home Repair 15 May 5th 07 01:31 PM
Craftsman lawn tractor weird behaviour dblho39 Home Repair 3 June 15th 06 03:12 AM
Lawn mower problem - possibly electrical nsaikia Home Repair 14 March 21st 06 03:38 AM
Weird electrical problem Alexander Galkin Home Repair 18 January 6th 05 12:57 AM
Can my Craftsman 15.5 hp, 42 in. Deck Lawn Tractor use Craftsman 42 in. Deluxe Lawn Tractor Snow Thrower B52 Home Ownership 1 January 14th 04 04:31 PM