Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WHY NOT A LAWN TRACTOR ?

Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get
an electric "golf cart" to get around our village.

I never realized, those things cost like platinum !

It occurred to me that one could buy a good lawn-tractor
remove the blades, and have pretty good urban transportation.

I see a SEARS ad offering a "six-speed" unit for less than a thou.

Beyond fighting the folks at city hall, any other probs ?
How's top speed ? Reliability ?

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:17:47 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get
an electric "golf cart" to get around our village.

I never realized, those things cost like platinum !

It occurred to me that one could buy a good lawn-tractor
remove the blades, and have pretty good urban transportation.

I see a SEARS ad offering a "six-speed" unit for less than a thou.

Beyond fighting the folks at city hall, any other probs ?
How's top speed ? Reliability ?

rj

Advise your friend to never; ever, get a DUI on a tractor. Speeding
can bring another fine.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

RJ,

Head to the library and read Consumer Reports, Craftsman is not a great
brand. There may be a noise issue. Golf carts have bench seats and carry
more than one person. Your friend may have difficulty getting on and off a
tractor. Tractors are not very stable. I have a 7 speed lawn tractor. Top
speed is faster than jogging but slower than running.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would have to differ from the last, I have had a Craftsman tractor for 25
years now, (OK, maybe they were better made then) but it is a 6 speed and
pretty quick. This thing has gone through the trails and in the woods,
pulled out many a deer. Yes it is hard to get on and off (if you were
elderly and had joint issues). I'm not sure just how loud it is but I don't
think is all that loud.

But, I do beleive that a golf cart would be MUCH better for him. I have seen
them on Craigs for 1200. Sounded like a good deal, same type elderly man
owned it, came with battery charges hard roof with rain enclosure.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 27, 6:17 pm, "RJ" wrote:
Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get
an electric "golf cart" to get around our village.

I never realized, those things cost like platinum !

It occurred to me that one could buy a good lawn-tractor
remove the blades, and have pretty good urban transportation.

I see a SEARS ad offering a "six-speed" unit for less than a thou.

Beyond fighting the folks at city hall, any other probs ?
How's top speed ? Reliability ?

A fight you'd not when, either, btw...

A BAD idea. They're not suited for the purpose. Look into finding
used carts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aasuming you're are serious,

Tractors run on gas. Can't use indoors.

Tractors would be hard to move around in tight spots (bathrooms,
stores)

Tractors tend to be big. Moving on a crowded sidewalk could be
challenging.

On Apr 27, 7:17 pm, "RJ" wrote:
Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get
an electric "golf cart" to get around our village.

I never realized, those things cost like platinum !

It occurred to me that one could buy a good lawn-tractor
remove the blades, and have pretty good urban transportation.

I see a SEARS ad offering a "six-speed" unit for less than a thou.

Beyond fighting the folks at city hall, any other probs ?
How's top speed ? Reliability ?

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair

RJ wrote:
Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get
an electric "golf cart" to get around our village.

I never realized, those things cost like platinum !

It occurred to me that one could buy a good lawn-tractor
remove the blades, and have pretty good urban transportation.

I see a SEARS ad offering a "six-speed" unit for less than a thou.

Beyond fighting the folks at city hall, any other probs ?
How's top speed ? Reliability ?

Speed, noise capacity and reliability.

rj

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...

On Apr 27, 7:17 pm, "RJ" wrote:
Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get
an electric "golf cart" to get around our village.

I never realized, those things cost like platinum !

It occurred to me that one could buy a good lawn-tractor
remove the blades, and have pretty good urban transportation.

I see a SEARS ad offering a "six-speed" unit for less than a thou.

Beyond fighting the folks at city hall, any other probs ?
How's top speed ? Reliability ?

I don't think he means a scooter, he means a real golf cart. I see them in a
lot of the elder-housing communities, and even some subdivisions.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
RJ wrote:
Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get
an electric "golf cart" to get around our village.

I never realized, those things cost like platinum !

It occurred to me that one could buy a good lawn-tractor
remove the blades, and have pretty good urban transportation.

I see a SEARS ad offering a "six-speed" unit for less than a thou.

Beyond fighting the folks at city hall, any other probs ?
How's top speed ? Reliability ?

Speed, noise capacity and reliability.

rj

--
Joseph Meehan

Don't forget the safety aspect.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

RJ wrote:
Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get
an electric "golf cart" to get around our village.

I never realized, those things cost like platinum !

It occurred to me that one could buy a good lawn-tractor
remove the blades, and have pretty good urban transportation.

I see a SEARS ad offering a "six-speed" unit for less than a thou.

Beyond fighting the folks at city hall, any other probs ?
How's top speed ? Reliability ?

rj

Look around for a golf cart dealer in your area. Some may have used ones
for sale.
When my girls were young, I bought a used electric golf cart from a a
local dealer. I paid $300 for it and it came with the 6 - 6v deep cell
batteries (36v motor) which were worth more than the $300 I paid for the
whole thing. It wasn't in the best looking condition but it ran.
In hind site, I should have bought the gas engine one because the kids
got downhearted when it had to be recharged.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are several companies that sell battery operated "carts" that are
designed for people that can't get around easily. Some are covered by
Medicare or other insurance.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get
an electric "golf cart" to get around our village.

I never realized, those things cost like platinum !

You don't have to buy new. My friend runs a mini-storage and though
she walks once or twice around each day for exercise and somtimes to
pick up litter, she uses the golf cart a lot. Her boss, her uncle,
runs another ministorage and doesn't buy new for himself either. I
think the same place that repairs them sells them used.

She actually uses a gas powered one. It's not as loud as a tractor
but louder than electric. The engine starts when she presses the
accelerator, which I think is cool. There is a hand lever for
reverse. But it breaks once in a while.

It occurred to me that one could buy a good lawn-tractor
remove the blades, and have pretty good urban transportation.

Without the blades, you couldn't chop off anyone's toes.

I see a SEARS ad offering a "six-speed" unit for less than a thou.

Beyond fighting the folks at city hall, any other probs ?
How's top speed ? Reliability ?

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get
an electric "golf cart" to get around our village.

And electric won't break anywhere near as often as a gas one, which
has most of the parts of a car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/2007 6:17 PM, RJ wrote:
Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get
an electric "golf cart" to get around our village.

I never realized, those things cost like platinum !

It occurred to me that one could buy a good lawn-tractor
remove the blades, and have pretty good urban transportation.

I see a SEARS ad offering a "six-speed" unit for less than a thou.

Beyond fighting the folks at city hall, any other probs ?
How's top speed ? Reliability ?

rj

*And* she thinks my tractor's sexy.8)

--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

No matter how great and destructive your problems may seem
now, remember, you've probably only seen the tip of them.