Posted to alt.home.repair
nsaikia

Default Lawn mower problem - possibly electrical

Spring is around the corner - so decided to tend on my mower. Last
mowing season, a branch got stuck and burnt a wire. I replaced the
wire, the voltage regulator. The mower starts and runs for about 20
minutes, before dying on me. Then it will not start up because the
battery goes dead. I charge up the battery, mower starts up pretty
good - runs for 20 mins and battery is dead !!
First question is, does these mowers have charging system? Does it
seem like the charging system is bad? Or do you think there is an
electrical short? If I need to look for a short, where should I
start?

Mower is a Toro with 11HP Brigs. Battery is brand spanking new.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

You say you replaced the regulator, well that controls charge. Start
there with a volt meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
nsaikia

Ok. From what I gather from the reply so far, it is not a short. It
seems the charging system is broke somewhere. I replaced the
regulator with an automotive one, as I could not find a lawn mower
one handy. I will start there again to check.

I am looking for information on the charging system of a Briggs and
Stratton (I do not know if it will be any different when installed on
a Toro). I do not know if getting one of the Briggs repair manual will
help me on that. Can you guys point me to the right direction?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

You put a Automobile voltage regulator on a Briggs & Stratton and are
here asking why the battery is dead! Start with the right regulator, im
sure you will be happy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
You put a Automobile voltage regulator on a Briggs & Stratton and are
here asking why the battery is dead! Start with the right regulator, im
sure you will be happy.

In the words of Bart Simpson, Aye Karoomba! Even he wouldn't be dumb
enough to do this. What's next, putting the blade on the car?

Posted to alt.home.repair
nsaikia

Now guys ! Go easy on me ! I am not a professional and I accept my
mistake (if it is indeed one). I thought that a 12V regulator is a
12V regulator and so should not make a difference.

I will get a proper regulator and try it on. Will post back with
results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nsaikia wrote:
Now guys ! Go easy on me ! I am not a professional and I accept my
mistake (if it is indeed one). I thought that a 12V regulator is a
12V regulator and so should not make a difference.

I will get a proper regulator and try it on. Will post back with
results.

off the top of my head, it doesn't sound like a completely impossible
idea... i haven't seen a separate regulator on a car in a long time.
where did you get it? maybe it's dead?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MikeB

nsaikia wrote:
Spring is around the corner - so decided to tend on my mower. Last
mowing season, a branch got stuck and burnt a wire. I replaced the
wire, the voltage regulator. The mower starts and runs for about 20
minutes, before dying on me. Then it will not start up because the
battery goes dead. I charge up the battery, mower starts up pretty
good - runs for 20 mins and battery is dead !!
First question is, does these mowers have charging system? Does it
seem like the charging system is bad? Or do you think there is an
electrical short? If I need to look for a short, where should I
start?

Mower is a Toro with 11HP Brigs. Battery is brand spanking new.

Without a engine model # I can't say with 100% certainty, but most
Briggs do have a diode in the charging circuit to prevent the battery
from discharging back through the alternator.

MikeB

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

It has a rotor -stater , no generator- alternator right, start with
seeing if it is outputting electricity. and what V.

Posted to alt.home.repair
nsaikia

I got the regulator from Autozone. Suppose to be for an older GM car.

Also, where is the charging system on a Briggs? Is it in-built - like
in the flywheel? Where would be the diode that you are talking about?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MikeB

nsaikia wrote:
I got the regulator from Autozone. Suppose to be for an older GM car.

Also, where is the charging system on a Briggs? Is it in-built - like
in the flywheel? Where would be the diode that you are talking about?

The diode is usually in the wiring harness & the coil is usually under
the flywheel.

MikeB

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

The B&S in that range ive seen have no generator just a rotor and
stator, which might be the real issue. I might guess the car regulator
could have to high a minimum amp input need and not open.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

nsaikia wrote:
I got the regulator from Autozone. Suppose to be for an older GM car.

Also, where is the charging system on a Briggs? Is it in-built - like
in the flywheel? Where would be the diode that you are talking about?

Yeah, it is a coil mounted around the flywheel.

You can go to the B&S Site and get an illustrated parts listing:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...sp?DocID=64103

If you have your engine number. (It will read something like
234432-0235). That model, engine type number will probably give you and
idea of what you are looking at.

Click on Owners Manual - Parts list

Under Illustrated Parts list click on "Engine IPL"

In the left hand column click on "Engine IPLs"

Now enter the Model number (such as the 234432 above) and then the
Engine type (such as the 0235 above).

Then you should have an option of downloading a IPL Form into a PDF file.