Posted to alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

Default Good price on an 18 cube ft. refrigerator?

The local Home Depot has a barebones 18 cubic foot top freezer
Hotpoint or Frigidaire, don't recall for sure, for $399, w/free
delivery (or more accurately, rebated delivery charge) and free
takeaway of the old fridge. This weekend there's an additional 10%
off, so it's about $360+tax. This is a bit better deal than Best Buy
who have an 18cf unit on sale for $399 + $55 for delivery/takeaway and
the Home Depot is much closer.

It seems most (more expensive) side-by-side-door models have In-door
ice/water. Will not opening the freezer door to get ice make a
significant difference in electrical costs? Strictly as a utility, an
icemaker and in-door water doesn't really seem like a big attraction
to me, and just seems like something to break.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Think I can do signficantly better on
the price of a similar unit? Are there big differences in quality
between manufacturers in these bargain level units?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doc" wrote in message

It seems most (more expensive) side-by-side-door models have In-door
ice/water. Will not opening the freezer door to get ice make a
significant difference in electrical costs? Strictly as a utility, an
icemaker and in-door water doesn't really seem like a big attraction
to me, and just seems like something to break.

I'd not buy a fridge without it, but that is me. I certainly like the water
dispensor adn it gets used many times around the clock, even when I get up
for the millde of the night pee.

Icemakers are the weak point of any refigerator. I've replaced mine once,
but again, after having kids at home and finding empty trays, the machine
was a blessing. Kids are long gone and I still like the convenience and
yes, you do pay for it.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Think I can do signficantly better on
the price of a similar unit?

Not unless it is stolen. They were $400 five+ years ago and the cost of
material has increased considerabely since then.

Are there big differences in quality
between manufacturers in these bargain level units?

IMO, they are an amazing bargain compared to appliances years ago. God
chance they are both using the same compressor that was made in China.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

Wow, looks like I'll steer clear of getting anything from Best Buy.

http://bestbuysux.org/index1.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
. net:

"Doc" wrote in message

[...]

I picked up one of those HD barebones frig's along with a barebones stove
for a HUD Wreck I rebuilt. Frig worked fine. Stove fine. Only can attest
to 15 months of use before I sold the place.

One kicker on the stove was once installed I go to turn on oven light.
Digital clock & timer but no light control. Look inside. No light! How
frikkin barebones can ya get?! The thing that really got me is there was
a glass panel in the door. Whe the hell good is a glass panel if you
can't see inside?! Maybe so you can see a fire or something, ya think? I
still laugh at myself for missing that one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:

One kicker on the stove was once installed I go to turn on oven light.
Digital clock & timer but no light control. Look inside. No light! How
frikkin barebones can ya get?! The thing that really got me is there
was a glass panel in the door. Whe the hell good is a glass panel if
you can't see inside?! Maybe so you can see a fire or something, ya
think? I still laugh at myself for missing that one.

So you can use a flashlight without opening the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in news:1392qglhqlactf8
@news.supernews.com:

Al Bundy wrote:

One kicker on the stove was once installed I go to turn on oven light.
Digital clock & timer but no light control. Look inside. No light! How
frikkin barebones can ya get?! The thing that really got me is there
was a glass panel in the door. Whe the hell good is a glass panel if
you can't see inside?! Maybe so you can see a fire or something, ya
think? I still laugh at myself for missing that one.

So you can use a flashlight without opening the door.

Well, I never claimed to be a pro.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:

I picked up one of those HD barebones frig's along with a barebones stove
for a HUD Wreck I rebuilt. Frig worked fine. Stove fine. Only can attest
to 15 months of use before I sold the place.

One kicker on the stove was once installed I go to turn on oven light.
Digital clock & timer but no light control. Look inside. No light! How
frikkin barebones can ya get?! The thing that really got me is there was
a glass panel in the door. Whe the hell good is a glass panel if you
can't see inside?! Maybe so you can see a fire or something, ya think? I
still laugh at myself for missing that one.

That must be the Home Depot special version. The barebones I have bought
from the local appliance place for apartments had lights.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doc wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't own a fridge without an icemaker. The in door water doesn't
do much for me.