Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good price on an 18 cube ft. refrigerator?

"Doc" wrote in message

It seems most (more expensive) side-by-side-door models have In-door
ice/water. Will not opening the freezer door to get ice make a
significant difference in electrical costs? Strictly as a utility, an
icemaker and in-door water doesn't really seem like a big attraction
to me, and just seems like something to break.

I'd not buy a fridge without it, but that is me. I certainly like the water
dispensor adn it gets used many times around the clock, even when I get up
for the millde of the night pee.

Icemakers are the weak point of any refigerator. I've replaced mine once,
but again, after having kids at home and finding empty trays, the machine
was a blessing. Kids are long gone and I still like the convenience and
yes, you do pay for it.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Think I can do signficantly better on
the price of a similar unit?

Not unless it is stolen. They were $400 five+ years ago and the cost of
material has increased considerabely since then.

Are there big differences in quality
between manufacturers in these bargain level units?

IMO, they are an amazing bargain compared to appliances years ago. God
chance they are both using the same compressor that was made in China.