Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Doc Doc is offline

Default Refrigerator seems to be struggling

An approximately 20-year old Hotpoint refrigerator seems to be having
issues - I've noticed the refrigerator section doesn't seem to keeping
things as cool, and seems to be running constantly and there's some
sweating on the inside. The refrig coolness control has been set on 5
for the entire time I've had the refrigerator.

The freezer section seems to be fine - keeping things frozen. I
checked the coils behind the back wall of the freezer, they're not
iced over. The drain tube doesn't appear to be blocked.

What could be causing this? If the freezer is working, shouldn't the
refrigerator section be working?

This refrig came new with the house in '88. The compressor had some
kind of factory bearing lubrication issue and was replaced in '95. Had
the defrost control replace once at some point and I replaced the door
seal once, which seems to be in good shape.

Thanks for all input.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Doc" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My crystal ball says it's time for a new refrigerator.

Did you know that the life expectancy of your appliance is 12-15 years??

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 22:15:40 -0700, Doc wrote:

An approximately 20-year old Hotpoint refrigerator seems to be having
issues - I've noticed the refrigerator section doesn't seem to keeping
things as cool, and seems to be running constantly and there's some
sweating on the inside. The refrig coolness control has been set on 5
for the entire time I've had the refrigerator.

The freezer section seems to be fine - keeping things frozen. I

It's probably some small thing then, because almost all fridges have
only one cooling system, in the freezer I think, and some way to get
some of the cold down to the fridge part.

I don't think so but conceivabley the food is frozen but still warmer
than it used to be. Somewhere I inherited a fridge/freezer
thermometer, but I don't remember what the proper temp for a freezer
is. I also don't see why zero for example woudl be better than 30.

The most important aspect seems to me to be how hard the ice cream is,
but that's a mixture, so it doesn't freeze at 32 anyhow, I thihk.

You don't need a special thermometer. You can use any outdoor
thermometer that goes down to 10, which they all do. I think even
indoor thermometers usually go that low (because they use the same
glass part and only change the holder, in some cases). Mine is
special because it has hooks that hook on the wire racks, and because
it marks where the normal temps are supposed to be.

checked the coils behind the back wall of the freezer, they're not
iced over. The drain tube doesn't appear to be blocked.

Did you dust them? Probably.

What could be causing this? If the freezer is working, shouldn't the
refrigerator section be working?

Generally yes.

CAn you eat your frozen food and your milk and just defrost the whole
thing for a day or two and start all over again. I gather there is
sometimes ice that gets in the way somewhere, that may be hard for one
to see.

But if someone contracicts me, take him seriously if not conclusively.

This refrig came new with the house in '88. The compressor had some
kind of factory bearing lubrication issue and was replaced in '95. Had
the defrost control replace once at some point and I replaced the door
seal once, which seems to be in good shape.

Mine's 28 years old, never needed any repairs except when the mouse
got caught in the fan, I had to take the dead mouse out. I don't
think that counts.

My door seal is getting old too, but doesn't leak yet.

Thanks for all input.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

kjpro @ usenet.com writes:

"Doc" wrote in message
oups.com...
An approximately 20-year old Hotpoint refrigerator seems to be having
issues - I've noticed the refrigerator section doesn't seem to keeping
things as cool, and seems to be running constantly and there's some
sweating on the inside. [...]

My crystal ball says it's time for a new refrigerator.

Mine, too. Newer refrigerators are more energy-efficient, too, so
even if you have to pay a little more to get a new one vs repairing
the old, you'll likely get the money back on your electric bills
before too long.

-Sandra the cynic

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Doc" wrote in message
oups.com...
An approximately 20-year old Hotpoint refrigerator seems to be having
issues - I've noticed the refrigerator section doesn't seem to keeping
things as cool, and seems to be running constantly and there's some
sweating on the inside. The refrig coolness control has been set on 5
for the entire time I've had the refrigerator.

The freezer section seems to be fine - keeping things frozen. I
checked the coils behind the back wall of the freezer, they're not
iced over. The drain tube doesn't appear to be blocked.

What could be causing this? If the freezer is working, shouldn't the
refrigerator section be working?

Evaporator fan may not be working. That is what moves the cold air from the
freezer to the refrigerator section. If not that, don't spend a lot of
money diagnosing a 20 year old appliance.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

[...]

IMHO: Try helping it, allow for air space around it, and clean the
coils.

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"mm" wrote in message
news
[...]

Why don't you stick with commenting on things you know?????

A freezer's temp is normally 0-5 degrees (so a thermometer that goes down to
10 is inadequate) and the fresh food is normally 36-38 degrees. The colder
you keep your food, the longer it will stay fresh.

Please do some research before you just start posting crap!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article .com,
Doc wrote:

An approximately 20-year old Hotpoint refrigerator seems to be having
issues - I've noticed the refrigerator section doesn't seem to keeping
things as cool, and seems to be running constantly and there's some
sweating on the inside. The refrig coolness control has been set on 5
for the entire time I've had the refrigerator.

Replace this beast right away. New refrigerators are dramatically
more efficient than they were 20 years ago. Not only will you
help save the environment, but the reduced cost of operation will
quickly pay for the new one.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 11:56:53 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Doc" wrote in message
roups.com...
An approximately 20-year old Hotpoint refrigerator seems to be having
issues - I've noticed the refrigerator section doesn't seem to keeping
things as cool, and seems to be running constantly and there's some
sweating on the inside. The refrig coolness control has been set on 5
for the entire time I've had the refrigerator.

The freezer section seems to be fine - keeping things frozen. I
checked the coils behind the back wall of the freezer, they're not
iced over. The drain tube doesn't appear to be blocked.

What could be causing this? If the freezer is working, shouldn't the
refrigerator section be working?

Evaporator fan may not be working. That is what moves the cold air from the
freezer to the refrigerator section. If not that, don't spend a lot of
money diagnosing a 20 year old appliance.

Agreed, and ALSO

Are the fins clean under the unit?
Is the fan working down there?

Check these things....

If all of them are fine, you are likely low on refrigerant. Getting
that recharged can be costly, so you may be better off getting a new
fridge. But fans can be replaced by the homeowner and fins should be
cleaned regularly.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 22:15:40 -0700, Doc wrote:

This refrig came new with the house in '88. The compressor had some
kind of factory bearing lubrication issue and was replaced in '95. Had
the defrost control replace once at some point and I replaced the door
seal once, which seems to be in good shape.

Some people have written on AHR that the life span of new
refrigerators is much lower than it used to be. Anticipated life span
of a new one would be a big factor to consider before someone buys a
new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 11:26:36 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks for pointing out my errors. I appreciate it. That's the
advantage of a newsgroup.

I looked at my thermometer and it says my freezer is 10 which is quite
a bit lower than I thought. I may make it a bit warmer if I get ice
cream though.

Please do some research before you just start posting crap!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
mm wrote:

I looked at my thermometer and it says my freezer is 10 which is quite
a bit lower than I thought. I may make it a bit warmer if I get ice
cream though.

10 is not cold enough for the freezer. things will spoil in weeks rather
than months.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 22:15:40 -0700, Doc wrote:

An approximately 20-year old Hotpoint refrigerator seems to be having
issues - I've noticed the refrigerator section doesn't seem to keeping
things as cool, and seems to be running constantly and there's some
sweating on the inside. The refrig coolness control has been set on 5
for the entire time I've had the refrigerator.

The sweating means warm air is getting inside, and the moisture in
warm air is condensing.

The freezer section seems to be fine - keeping things frozen. I
checked the coils behind the back wall of the freezer, they're not
iced over. The drain tube doesn't appear to be blocked.

What could be causing this? If the freezer is working, shouldn't the
refrigerator section be working?

This refrig came new with the house in '88. The compressor had some
kind of factory bearing lubrication issue and was replaced in '95. Had
the defrost control replace once at some point and I replaced the door
seal once, which seems to be in good shape.

Thanks for all input.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Doc Doc is offline

On Jul 7, 7:56 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

What could be causing this? If the freezer is working, shouldn't the
refrigerator section be working?

Evaporator fan may not be working. That is what moves the cold air from the
freezer to the refrigerator section.

Where would the evaporator fan likely be located?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Doc" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 7, 7:56 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

What could be causing this? If the freezer is working, shouldn't the
refrigerator section be working?

Evaporator fan may not be working. That is what moves the cold air from
the
freezer to the refrigerator section.

Where would the evaporator fan likely be located?

Usually some place between compartments or in the back of the unit, behind a
vent opening. You may find more information of your particular model at
www.repairclinic.com

Refrigerator Q Lou Home Repair 3 March 14th 07 06:19 PM
Central Air Struggling JoeSpareBedroom Home Repair 24 August 6th 06 04:13 PM
Struggling with Central Heating Andy M Jenkins UK diy 2 March 8th 05 11:14 AM
sub zero 550 refrigerator ryan Home Repair 3 July 27th 04 12:11 AM
struggling to find happy heat pump users, DFW TX mheatley Home Repair 2 August 25th 03 01:27 PM