Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Doc Doc is offline

Default Refrigerator seems to be struggling

An approximately 20-year old Hotpoint refrigerator seems to be having
issues - I've noticed the refrigerator section doesn't seem to keeping
things as cool, and seems to be running constantly and there's some
sweating on the inside. The refrig coolness control has been set on 5
for the entire time I've had the refrigerator.

The freezer section seems to be fine - keeping things frozen. I
checked the coils behind the back wall of the freezer, they're not
iced over. The drain tube doesn't appear to be blocked.

What could be causing this? If the freezer is working, shouldn't the
refrigerator section be working?

This refrig came new with the house in '88. The compressor had some
kind of factory bearing lubrication issue and was replaced in '95. Had
the defrost control replace once at some point and I replaced the door
seal once, which seems to be in good shape.

Thanks for all input.