Posted to alt.home.repair

Default continuing knocking sound in water pipe half an hour after all water off

This knocking pipe problem is really strange. It is a weak knocking
sound 2 or 3 times per second normally happened at night time in about
half an hour after all water usage is stopped. Once it started, it
will keep knocking till the next morning. It really drives me crazy.
The only way I found that can stop it temporarily is using water like
flushing the toilet. It will stop the knocking about another half an
hour. So imaging that, wake up by the noise at 1:00AM, flush the
toilet, try to get back to sleep before 1:30AM, if not, flush again...
Anyone can give some advice?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
This knocking pipe problem is really strange. It is a weak knocking
sound 2 or 3 times per second normally happened at night time in about
half an hour after all water usage is stopped. Once it started, it
will keep knocking till the next morning. It really drives me crazy.
The only way I found that can stop it temporarily is using water like
flushing the toilet. It will stop the knocking about another half an
hour. So imaging that, wake up by the noise at 1:00AM, flush the
toilet, try to get back to sleep before 1:30AM, if not, flush again...
Anyone can give some advice?

Do you live in an apartment or condo or duplex? The problem might be in
another unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm living in a single family house. The trouble must be in my place.:-
(

Do you live in an apartment or condo or duplex? The problem might be in
another unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
This knocking pipe problem is really strange. It is a weak knocking
sound 2 or 3 times per second normally happened at night time in about
half an hour after all water usage is stopped. Once it started, it
will keep knocking till the next morning. It really drives me crazy.
The only way I found that can stop it temporarily is using water like
flushing the toilet. It will stop the knocking about another half an
hour. So imaging that, wake up by the noise at 1:00AM, flush the
toilet, try to get back to sleep before 1:30AM, if not, flush again...
Anyone can give some advice?

Instead of wasting the water on a flush, take diuretics and make the flush
do something.

Do you have shut off valves for each fixture? Try shutting off some of
them, or a zone if a section must be shut down and see if that stops it or
help locate the problem. My guess is that a toilet valve is not closing
properly and while barely visible, is very loud. That would be the first
place to check.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 3, 2:30 pm, wrote:
This knocking pipe problem is really strange. It is a weak knocking
sound 2 or 3 times per second normally happened at night time in about
half an hour after all water usage is stopped. Once it started, it
will keep knocking till the next morning. It really drives me crazy.
The only way I found that can stop it temporarily is using water like
flushing the toilet. It will stop the knocking about another half an
hour. So imaging that, wake up by the noise at 1:00AM, flush the
toilet, try to get back to sleep before 1:30AM, if not, flush again...
Anyone can give some advice?

try shutting off the supply to the toilet

Posted to alt.home.repair

"beecrofter" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 3, 2:30 pm, wrote:
This knocking pipe problem is really strange. It is a weak knocking
sound 2 or 3 times per second normally happened at night time in about
half an hour after all water usage is stopped. Once it started, it
will keep knocking till the next morning. It really drives me crazy.
The only way I found that can stop it temporarily is using water like
flushing the toilet. It will stop the knocking about another half an
hour. So imaging that, wake up by the noise at 1:00AM, flush the
toilet, try to get back to sleep before 1:30AM, if not, flush again...
Anyone can give some advice?

try shutting off the supply to the toilet

Yep. the toilet. The flapper has a slow leak which causes the water valve to
turn on very slowly making all sorts of evil noises. Fix is to replace the
flapper and while you have everything apart replace the fill valve also,

CHeck this by turning off the toilet water and see if the tank drops any
over night

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 19:35:33 -0000, wrote:

I'm living in a single family house. The trouble must be in my place.:-
(

Do you live in an apartment or condo or duplex? The problem might be in
another unit.

It's probably haunted. This is one of the undisclosed "features" of a
Gmail account.
Posted to alt.home.repair

kekil had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ft-230973-.htm
:
i know this was a long time ago .. but any update on this? wondering if
it worked for you. me and two other people have the same issue!!

-------------------------------------
wrote:

Thanks for the advices. I turned the toilet water off last night. It
seems work. I will retest it tonight to confirm it.

On Jul 3, 7:21 pm, "jmagerl"
wrote:
"beecrofter" wrote in
message

[...]