Posted to alt.home.repair
BiloxiBoy

Default Continuing water heater troubles

Dorothy wrote:
Hi all,

A while ago I had a problem with our water heater pilot light staying lit. I
asked here and the answer I received was to replace the thermocouple, which I
did, and that remedied it. Now I am experiencing the same problem again -
where the pilot won't stay lit - and replacing the thermocouple doesn't fix
it this time.

What could be the problem now?

Thanks!

Dot

Is it in an area where it's affected by wind? Mine is outside - in a
closet - but at times the wind used to get in there and blow the pilot
out. I've since corrected that problem and the pilot stays strong all
the time. Probably a stretch, but also worth considering is its acess
to oxygen. If your heater is so well sealed in an enclosure that the
fire has no air to fuel it, it might squelch the pilot. Of course,
when the burner is up and running, it has enough force to pull air -
even through the smallest area. The pilot, on the other hand, is not
that strong...

Posted to alt.home.repair

might be a bad thermostat/ gas valve assembly. I had a go out
ccasionally tank once. replaced the thermocouple and it helped but
didnt stop it altogether

Then one nite I heard water running the tank had a leak inside the
flue, spraying water out the chimney pipe.

so the water leaked a little putting out the pilot occasionally...

how old is your tank?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

A chimney can depending on wind and rapid barometric changes downdraft
for a second, is it old possibly leaking.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Dorothy wrote:

On 26 Mar 2006 05:41:06 -0800, "BiloxiBoy" posted:

Dorothy wrote:

[...]

No, it wasn't breeze or the lack thereof - it was a dirty/clogged burner.
Thanks for your advice anyway.

Dot

Hi,
You mean pilot nozzle?