Posted to uk.d-i-y
Crag

Default Water piper knocking - is this 'water hammer'

The pipes in the loft are knocking so much that it wakes me in the morning
(when the heathing/water come on).

Is this 'water hammer'?

What's the best solution to this?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bookworm

--

Most likely not water hammer. WH shows usually when a tap or ball valve
shuts down. Your heating should not be drawing any water. More likely

My CH pipes are rubbing on the joists under my floorboards in the
bedroom. One hell of a racket when the system warms up in the morning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
..

"Crag" wrote in message
The pipes in the loft are knocking so much that it wakes me in the morning
(when the heathing/water come on).

Is this 'water hammer'?

What's the best solution to this?

Trace where the noise is loudest and secure the pie that's loose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

".." wrote in message

"Crag" wrote in message
The pipes in the loft are knocking so much that it wakes me in the

morning
(when the heathing/water come on).

Is this 'water hammer'?

What's the best solution to this?

Trace where the noise is loudest and secure the pie that's loose.

Beware of securing long runs of heating pipe. The expansion/contraction can
create infurriating noise as the pipe periodically 'jolts' through the
fixing.
Like to know the best compromise for this myself, the previous owner thought
that strategically placed socks were the answer.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Crag

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:32:44 GMT wrote in
:

On 15 Apr,
".." wrote:

"Crag" wrote in message
The pipes in the loft are knocking so much that it wakes me in the
morning (when the heathing/water come on).

Is this 'water hammer'?

What's the best solution to this?

Trace where the noise is loudest and secure the pie that's loose.

I wrapped mine with the 'carpet felt' type pipe insulation where they
pass through joists etc. to forestall this problem. Fastening heating
pipes down may make it worse if they haven't room to expand.

Cheers all. Will get on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:16:34 GMT, "VisionSet"
wrote:

".." wrote in message

"Crag" wrote in message
The pipes in the loft are knocking so much that it wakes me in the

morning
(when the heathing/water come on).

Is this 'water hammer'?

What's the best solution to this?

Trace where the noise is loudest and secure the pie that's loose.

Beware of securing long runs of heating pipe. The expansion/contraction can
create infurriating noise as the pipe periodically 'jolts' through the
fixing.
Like to know the best compromise for this myself, the previous owner thought
that strategically placed socks were the answer.

One about every foot?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Homer J

Trace where the noise is loudest and secure the pie that's loose.

Mmmmm pie