Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic Fan/Cooling ???

I live in So. California and have a 1600 sq. ft. home, no central air
(my wife wants, I don't want to spend the $$$) anyway last year I put
in a whole house fan(pretty large one), I currently have two whirrly
birds and about 13 soffits in my attic. Problem- my attic in the
afternoon is 120-130 F while inside the house it's about 80 F, went
it's about 85-90F outside would more vents or a power vent get that
temp down in the attic closer to 100 F. I did put in a window a/c
unit in the living room to keep the wife somewhat happy but the whole
house fan doesn't seem to help very much because I think the hot air
trapped in the attic is causing my house to heat up in the afternoon.
Before I cut into the roof and install another product I was hoping
for some feedback. The wife thinks the whole house fan idea was a
waste, right now I agree but with some help I think it would work
pretty good here since humidity it's a problem, hot air coming down
from the attic is...

Posted to alt.home.repair

See the thread a little below, on attic ventilation.

Mushroom fan, dude, mushroom.
In a 1600' house, may obviate the whole-house fan, AND ventilate the attic.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 3, 12:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

Do you have adequate venting? That will limit what a whole house fan
can do. Also remember that a whole house fan brings in air from the
outside....so when it is 90F outside, you won't feel a lot of
relief...plus even when it is pushing the air out of the attic, it
doesn't take much to heat that already hot air to 130F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in So. California and have a 1600 sq. ft. home, no central air
(my wife wants, I don't want to spend the $$$)

Why not just make the wife happy and have the central air installed.

Is she good looking?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 3, 11:23 am, wrote:
I live in So. California and have a 1600 sq. ft. home, no central air
(my wife wants, I don't want to spend the $$$) anyway last year I put
in a whole house fan(pretty large one), I currently have two whirrly
birds and about 13 soffits in my attic. Problem- my attic in the
afternoon is 120-130 F while inside the house it's about 80 F, went
it's about 85-90F outside

In the afternoon you are not running the whole fan, right? More
venting near the top of the attic (ridge vent or mushroom vents near
the apex) might help, or powered attic-ventilator might help, but
attics tend to get hot on hot sunny days almost no matter what you do.

would more vents or a power vent get that
temp down in the attic closer to 100 F. I did put in a window a/c
unit in the living room to keep the wife somewhat happy but the whole
house fan doesn't seem to help very much because I think the hot air
trapped in the attic is causing my house to heat up in the afternoon.

How are you using the whole house fan? If the outside cools off at
night the whole house fan should work to cool the house, but it will
take a while. You get cool breezes from the windows right away but
cooling down the mass of the house and roof may take a couple hours.

Before I cut into the roof and install another product I was hoping
for some feedback.

Do you have insulation in the attic floor, to keep the heat from
transferring to the house?

The wife thinks the whole house fan idea was a
waste, right now I agree but with some help I think it would work
pretty good here since humidity it's a problem, hot air coming down
from the attic is...

You might consider just giving in on the A/C or barring that, get
another small window unit for the bedroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Something doesn't sound right. With a whole house fan blowing air through
the attic the temperature should be tolerable for a person to work up there.
I would check to see if you have adequate venting for the air to escape out
of the attic. This includes plenty of soffit vents, a ridge vent, gable
vents, and maybe some roof caps. Make sure that your soffit vents aren't
covered with insulation or are sealed from years of being painted over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in So. California and have a 1600 sq. ft. home, no central air
(my wife wants, I don't want to spend the $$$) anyway last year I put
in a whole house fan(pretty large one), I currently have two whirrly
birds and about 13 soffits in my attic. Problem- my attic in the

How about installing a ridge vent? No power, no noise, always works....

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:545f1$468a8271$9440c41e$30658
@STARBAND.NET:

wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in So. California and have a 1600 sq. ft. home, no central air
(my wife wants, I don't want to spend the $$$)

Why not just make the wife happy and have the central air installed.

Is she good looking?

Maybe when she's all sweaty or something :-)