Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Attic Fan/Cooling ???

wrote:

I live in So. California and have a 1600 sq. ft. home, no central air
(my wife wants, I don't want to spend the $$$) anyway last year I put
in a whole house fan(pretty large one), I currently have two whirrly
birds and about 13 soffits in my attic. Problem- my attic in the
afternoon is 120-130 F while inside the house it's about 80 F, went
it's about 85-90F outside would more vents or a power vent get that
temp down in the attic closer to 100 F. I did put in a window a/c
unit in the living room to keep the wife somewhat happy but the whole
house fan doesn't seem to help very much because I think the hot air
trapped in the attic is causing my house to heat up in the afternoon.
Before I cut into the roof and install another product I was hoping
for some feedback. The wife thinks the whole house fan idea was a
waste, right now I agree but with some help I think it would work
pretty good here since humidity it's a problem, hot air coming down
from the attic is...

If it's 85-90 outside, that's the coolest a whole house fan will
ever make it inside.