Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I kill this tree?

I have a rogue tree growing under my deck.
I hack the branches off, but each year it comes back bigger.

Is there some way I can kill it, or do I have to tear up my dig and
dig it out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

By the way, I think it's a mulberry tree.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jul 2, 8:56 am, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:
I have a rogue tree growing under my deck.
I hack the branches off, but each year it comes back bigger.

Is there some way I can kill it, or do I have to tear up my dig and
dig it out?

1. Crawl under the deck, cut the tree down, paint the stump with full
strength (straight out of the bottle) roundup or weed killer.

2. Quit spitting seeds off your deck.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:56:56 GMT, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

I have a rogue tree growing under my deck.
I hack the branches off, but each year it comes back bigger.

Is there some way I can kill it, or do I have to tear up my dig and
dig it out?

They make tree killers and sell them at walmart.

Go to the garden section and ask for a broad leaf plant poison.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Mitch wrote:
By the way, I think it's a mulberry tree.

Mulberry trees are hard to kill. The only thing that has ever worked for me is
to cut it off as close to the ground as possible, then pour salt over the cut
surface.

This will work best in the fall.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks guys.
I'll have to pull up a few planks to get directly to the trunk, but
that's no biggie. I just want to kill...it...dead!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mitch" Mitch@... wrote

Thanks guys.
I'll have to pull up a few planks to get directly to the trunk, but
that's no biggie. I just want to kill...it...dead!

While you're down there, wouldn't hurt to cover it with
heavy black plastic bags. Poisoning, then suffocating.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mitch" Mitch@... wrote in message
I have a rogue tree growing under my deck.
I hack the branches off, but each year it comes back bigger.

Is there some way I can kill it, or do I have to tear up my dig and
dig it out?

If the leaves are still on it, spray it with Roundup. Takes a few days to
see results, but it won't survive and it won't come back because Roundup
kills all the way to the root. But if there's anything else under there
that you want to save, cover it before spraying with Roundup since that
stuff will kill anything. Grass, flowers, weeds, big trees even, if you had
enough of the stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mitch" Mitch@... wrote in message
I have a rogue tree growing under my deck.
I hack the branches off, but each year it comes back bigger.

Is there some way I can kill it, or do I have to tear up my dig and
dig it out?

Read the labels and find one which applies to trees. While Roundup is a
great herbicide one which is lsited as a "brush killer" (Bayer make one
called just that - brush killer) is needed on something as tenacious as
Mulberry. A state forester instructed me that you can indeed paint the
stumps with it and, in most cases, it will work. A method which he
specifically preferred for cantankerous trees is called, 'slash and fill'.
Cut deep gashes around the trunk but do *not* let them connect. This
produces a bit of a resevoir which you fill with full-strength brush killer.
That's it. The tree pulls the stuff directly into its system and kills
roots and all. Will Bob M's method work? Probably will. No slight
intended to him. This is just another method for you to investigate.