Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sliding glass door parts?

Hi all...

Here's the dilema. I just moved into a different house that has a
sliding glass door out back. I need to install a pet door. I did the
obvious, and ordered a panel (insert) that goes in the track between
the actual door and door jamb.

I went to install it today, and there's three problems:

1. the panel is huge (it has to be, the dog is also huge) therefore
only allowing me to fit through when I turn slightly sideways.

2. there's a gap that starts small up top and opens up to about 3/8"
at the bottom, between the door and the panel.

3. there's not what I feel is a good way to lock the door. Instead,
there's simply a small pin/latch mechanism that mounts at the bottom
on the track to keep the door from opening.

So, after analyzing the construction of the door, I feel I could make
my own if I had some long pieces of the aluminum stock that makes up
the frame. I could utilize the latch mechanism from the original
door, and have the bottom section of the door solid (probably
plywood), with the pet door installed in that, and the top half of the
door would be glass. Furthermore, I'd actually be able to open and
close the whole thing as a single unit, allowing full and easy access
to the patio.

So has anyone tackled this before or does anyone know where to get the
supplies to make my own?

Thanks in advance.

~jp