TP

Default best “Sliding glass door” ?

Ok here’s one everyone should be able to comment on. “Sliding
glass doors” Which is the best? Anderson, Pella, HunterDouglas,
Noname, store brand. (French wood style)
We have a Pella today, we need to add two more to another area
of the house. The Pella is the only door that the screen is on
the inside. The moveable door panel slides on the outside. Pros
& Cons on this? I’d consider vinyl but in this room we would
finish/stain the wood door. Would be installed on a north facing
wall, in the upstate NY.

Thanks
TP
willshak

On 6/10/2005 6:48 AM US(ET), TP took fingers to keys, and typed the=20
following:

Ok here=E2=80=99s one everyone should be able to comment on. =E2=80=9CS=

liding glass=20
doors=E2=80=9D Which is the best? Anderson, Pella, HunterDouglas, Nonam=

e,=20
store brand. (French wood style)

You forgot Marvin. http://homeowner.marvin.com/products/doors.cfm

We have a Pella today, we need to add two more to another area of the =

house. The Pella is the only door that the screen is on the inside.=20
The moveable door panel slides on the outside. Pros & Cons on this? =20
I=E2=80=99d consider vinyl but in this room we would finish/stain the w=

ood=20
door. Would be installed on a north facing wall, in the upstate NY.

Thanks
TP

I had Marvin french doors installed in 2 bedrooms going out onto the=20
second floor porch facing northwest. They worked well here in the Hudson =

Valley, NY.

--=20
Bill

m Ransley

The Pella lets in bugs when you open the screen to close the door. So I
went with Anderson. To know Best you need to check all specs. Air
infiltration verified tests and glass performance, Cdf, Shg, Vlt, Uv, R
or U values etc. But I bet Pella, Marvin and Anderson are tops, Look at
Hurd also they have different glass for different areas such as where
Shg Solar Heat Gain is of primary concern . Anderson and Pella have one
glass. Hurd has maybe 4 types of Low E Argon.

Harry K

TP wrote:
Ok here's one everyone should be able to comment on. "Sliding
glass doors" Which is the best? Anderson, Pella, HunterDouglas,
Noname, store brand. (French wood style)
We have a Pella today, we need to add two more to another area
of the house. The Pella is the only door that the screen is on
the inside. The moveable door panel slides on the outside. Pros
& Cons on this? I'd consider vinyl but in this room we would
finish/stain the wood door. Would be installed on a north facing
wall, in the upstate NY.

Thanks
TP

Just my opinion but sliding glass doors are something that should never
have been invented. French doors give you the same opening size, seal
a whole lot better and don't have all the hassle of keeping the track
clean, rollers wearing out etc. I told my wife that but she insisted
it just had to be a slider. Only took her a couple years to wish she
had listened. I know of several people who installed sliders and a few
years later replaced with french.

Harry K

Chris Hill

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:48:47 GMT, TP
wrote:

Ok here’s one everyone should be able to comment on. “Sliding
glass doors” Which is the best? Anderson, Pella, HunterDouglas,
Noname, store brand. (French wood style)
We have a Pella today, we need to add two more to another area
of the house. The Pella is the only door that the screen is on
the inside. The moveable door panel slides on the outside. Pros
& Cons on this? I’d consider vinyl but in this room we would
finish/stain the wood door. Would be installed on a north facing
wall, in the upstate NY.

All sliding doors suck. If you use them in the winter the snow gets
in the tracks and won't let them close.

Edwin Pawlowski

"TP" wrote in message
Ok here’s one everyone should be able to comment on. “Sliding glass doors”
Which is the best? Anderson, Pella, HunterDouglas, Noname, store brand.
(French wood style)
We have a Pella today, we need to add two more to another area of the
house. The Pella is the only door that the screen is on the inside. The
moveable door panel slides on the outside. Pros & Cons on this? I’d
consider vinyl but in this room we would finish/stain the wood door. Would
be installed on a north facing wall, in the upstate NY.

I have a Pella and it is on a north facing wall also. The inside screen has
the potential to allow bugs in when you close it for the night. Only
downside I've found in 10 years or so.

The upside is that is seals very well. On most sliders, the wind pushes the
sliding portion away from the gasket, but the Pella pushes it together to
make a better seal.

Another poster made a comment about snow. We had about 70" of snow this
year and I've never had a problem opening the door. To me, it is a
non-issue

Chris Hill

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:24:37 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

I have a Pella and it is on a north facing wall also. The inside screen has
the potential to allow bugs in when you close it for the night. Only
downside I've found in 10 years or so.

The upside is that is seals very well. On most sliders, the wind pushes the
sliding portion away from the gasket, but the Pella pushes it together to
make a better seal.

Another poster made a comment about snow. We had about 70" of snow this
year and I've never had a problem opening the door. To me, it is a
non-issue

Opening was always fine, took a hair dryer to get it closed
completely. If snow piles up on the side of the house it will be an
issue.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Chris Hill" wrote in message
Opening was always fine, took a hair dryer to get it closed
completely. If snow piles up on the side of the house it will be an
issue.

Your experience differs from mine. Still a non-issue for me.

Now let me tell you about the original door with aluminum frame and the need
for hair dryers. . . . . . . ..

Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM
Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
cutting glass tubing Ken Sterling Metalworking 33 June 27th 04 06:48 AM
Cutting window glass Charles H. Buchholtz Home Repair 9 November 14th 03 02:13 AM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM