Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Sliding glass door parts?

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 08:46:42 -0700, "Jon R. Pickens"
wrote:

You keep saying the door, when I think you mean the door opening,
unless you plan to attach the plywood and glass to the sliding part.

No... I mean door. I want to make a new door that will replace my
current sliding glass door. It would be the same size, except the
bottom half would be solid--not glass.

OK, I missed that entirely. I get it now.

I'd call some glass shops with trucks. When they have to replace a
door, they must often have a leftover used door, which they may save
for parts. Or they will if you ask them to. I say this because it
seems you need an additional latch, and maybe a wheel for the part you
add on. You may also end up giving them the business of cutting the
top glass.

The glass will be the easy part. Although, I think you may be right.

I only brought up the glass as a reason the glass shop would be
cooperative, even if they thought they couldn't charge much for the
broken frame, because they might be getting some glass business too.

I may need to just find a door that had the glass busted out, and then
fill the bottom section with a plywood panel and make some sort of
transition between that and the glass part.

Then you could save the original door and put it back in when you move
out. This would be useful even if you owned, but for sure if you
rent. (It's because you rent that I thought you were just trying to
add some inches onto the existing door.)

Hmmm. That url you gave, that I basically snipped, says "Collar tag
must touch the bottom of the pet door in order to activate. This is
not a proximity sensing model." I know you're not insisting on this
model, but how does this model work. How can the tag touch the bottom
of the pet door if it is on the cat's neck? Isn't the cat's head in
the way?

And in the green box it says "A safety break-away collar/tag comes
with the door." Is this like, In Case of Fire, Break Glass. ?

~jp