Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Icemaker follow-up

Narrowed it down to the motor for the rotor that feeds the ice into the
chute thingy. So, the next question becomes is that something that a
marginally handy person can do or it should be left to professionals?
How about just exchaging out the entire unit in the door?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
Narrowed it down to the motor for the rotor that feeds the ice into the
chute thingy. So, the next question becomes is that something that a
marginally handy person can do or it should be left to professionals?
How about just exchaging out the entire unit in the door?

Is the motor available as a separate part? The second option is probably
easier but could be expensive.

As to the skills involved, difficult to say ... perhaps someone who has
first-hand experience will add some wisdom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 20:30:00 +0000, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Narrowed it down to the motor for the rotor that feeds the ice into the
chute thingy. So, the next question becomes is that something that a
marginally handy person can do or it should be left to professionals?
How about just exchaging out the entire unit in the door?

I wouldn't replace the door. You wouldn't replace the door on your car if
the window crank broke would you?

He said "unit in the door."

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Meat Plow wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 20:30:00 +0000, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Narrowed it down to the motor for the rotor that feeds the ice into the
chute thingy. So, the next question becomes is that something that a
marginally handy person can do or it should be left to professionals?
How about just exchaging out the entire unit in the door?

I wouldn't replace the door. You wouldn't replace the door on your car if
the window crank broke would you?

If you are handy, look over the icemaker and see if you can tell how stuff
fits together. Look for screws, moldings etc.. and see if you can
figure out how it comes apart. That would determine if you need to hire
someone.

Thanks. I was thinking about only taking about the unit IN the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:46:31 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

If you are handy, look over the icemaker and see if you can tell how stuff
fits together. Look for screws, moldings etc.. and see if you can
figure out how it comes apart. That would determine if you need to hire
someone.

I was once trying to fix a Smith Corona portable (typewriter) and in
the process I took off all the cover parts, and still couldn't see the
problem. So I took it to a typewriter repair guy, and he was mad that
I had taken off the covers. I said, "You don't have to put the covers
back on. Just fix the backspace key that doesn't work." I don't think
I had even brought the covers with me.

But he wouldn't do it. So I took it home and fiddled a little longer
and one of the stiff wires that connect things fell apart at one end,
in the middle of its loop. I guess it had already bent or cracked,
and its effective length was no longer as short as it should have
been. So I was able to use a heavy wire hanger to make a part for it.

I hear they aare going to phase out wire hangers. BEtter stock up,
for parts.

icemaker frigidaire snglbrd Home Repair 1 February 25th 07 05:52 PM
icemaker problem [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 October 28th 06 06:55 PM
Help, please... Icemaker problem - Please help Mark246 Home Repair 11 September 30th 06 09:58 PM
Icemaker PanHandler Home Repair 8 August 8th 05 12:50 PM
Amana Icemaker Carl J. Mosca Home Repair 5 September 6th 03 09:29 PM