Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing Woodstove with ...

All,

We could really use some input around the replacement of our current
primary heat source. We live in a rural area and currently rely mostly
on a woodstove as the primary heat source. We do have some electric
baseboards as well but when runnig these our electrical bill explodes.
We live in BC , Canada and our electricl rate is 0.06 CAD per KW.

We have done a lot of research across the many alternative that exist
today: air-to-air heatpumps, air-to-water heatpumps, ground source
heatpumps (Geo), pellet boilers etc. We don't have natural gas
available so that is not an options. After going through all the
options I have come to the conclusion that the best replacement
(considering all things like cost, comfort, noise, environment etc) is
to put in an electrical boiler (dual energy so we can use propane as
the backup for when we loose power) in combination with hydronic
baseboards. We will likely need somewhere abour 50,000 - 60,000 BTU
and our sqft is around 2200 (two story home with split levels and
vaulted seiling, skylights etc). The house was built in 1982 and
insulation is not great (but also not terribly bad e.g. we do have
double paned windows).

Before contacting heating contractors it would be great if people in
this group could help provide some input to whether we are on the
right track, anything that we are missing etc etc.

The cost of this solution is looking at around $3,000 USD for the
basebaords and $2,000 for the dual energy boiler. Of course on top of
that we will have the installation and plumbing.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

baseboards as well but when runnig these our electrical bill explodes.
We live in BC , Canada and our electricl rate is 0.06 CAD per KW.

I have come to the conclusion that the best replacement
(considering all things like cost, comfort, noise, environment etc) is
to put in an electrical boiler (dual energy so we can use propane as
the backup for when we loose power) in combination with hydronic
baseboards.

The cost of this solution is looking at around $3,000 USD for the
basebaords and $2,000 for the dual energy boiler. Of course on top of
that we will have the installation and plumbing.

Firs, I'd love to have those electric rates. Here in CT we are paying 19¢.
Yes, that is 3X what you are complaining about.

I don't know that propane is a good replacement and if the payback for $5000
is worth it, but you can do a cost comparison for different fuels. Check
here
http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php...on_calculator/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
That is very good rate for the electricity. In Calgary, I pay 0.082.
Just locked it on a deal for 5 years at 0.07 with Enmax.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

baseboards as well but when runnig these our electrical bill
explodes. We live in BC , Canada and our electricl rate is 0.06 CAD
per KW. I have come to the conclusion that the best replacement
(considering all things like cost, comfort, noise, environment etc)
is to put in an electrical boiler (dual energy so we can use propane
as the backup for when we loose power) in combination with hydronic
baseboards.

The cost of this solution is looking at around $3,000 USD for the
basebaords and $2,000 for the dual energy boiler. Of course on top of
that we will have the installation and plumbing.

Firs, I'd love to have those electric rates. Here in CT we are
paying 19¢. Yes, that is 3X what you are complaining about.

Wow. Our rates are about 2.5 cents per KW. Our Public Utility District owns
two hydro dams.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Here in the GTA area of Ontario we pay much more than what you do. Are you
sure you are reading your bill correctly?

Here we pay $0.055 per kWh ramping up to $0.064 per kWh, plus delivery
charges, Regulatory charges and Debt retirement charges and GST. At our
consumption it works out to a total of $0.109 Canadian per kWh on our last
bill.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I cannot answer your question, which is pretty complicated, but you might
also post this query on alt.energy.homepower - they specialize on these
kinds of heating questions.
Roger

(snip) I have come to the conclusion that the best replacement
(considering all things like cost, comfort, noise, environment etc) is
to put in an electrical boiler (dual energy so we can use propane as
the backup for when we loose power) in combination with hydronic
baseboards.
Before contacting heating contractors it would be great if people in
this group could help provide some input to whether we are on the
right track, anything that we are missing etc etc.
The cost of this solution is looking at around $3,000 USD for the
basebaords and $2,000 for the dual energy boiler. Of course on top of
that we will have the installation and plumbing.

Woodstove chimney danger - help please Dave T Scotland Home Ownership 5 July 22nd 06 08:28 PM
woodstove hearths habbi Home Repair 6 January 21st 06 12:07 AM
Woodstove leaks Rob Gray Home Repair 5 December 14th 04 01:39 PM
Woodstove flue damper John Home Repair 1 November 21st 04 02:55 AM
Woodstove Fireplace Repair Andrew Sarangan Home Repair 2 October 20th 04 02:45 PM