Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Replacing Woodstove with ...

wrote:

All,

We could really use some input around the replacement of our current
primary heat source. We live in a rural area and currently rely mostly
on a woodstove as the primary heat source. We do have some electric
baseboards as well but when runnig these our electrical bill explodes.
We live in BC , Canada and our electricl rate is 0.06 CAD per KW.

We have done a lot of research across the many alternative that exist
today: air-to-air heatpumps, air-to-water heatpumps, ground source
heatpumps (Geo), pellet boilers etc. We don't have natural gas
available so that is not an options. After going through all the
options I have come to the conclusion that the best replacement
(considering all things like cost, comfort, noise, environment etc) is
to put in an electrical boiler (dual energy so we can use propane as
the backup for when we loose power) in combination with hydronic
baseboards. We will likely need somewhere abour 50,000 - 60,000 BTU
and our sqft is around 2200 (two story home with split levels and
vaulted seiling, skylights etc). The house was built in 1982 and
insulation is not great (but also not terribly bad e.g. we do have
double paned windows).

Before contacting heating contractors it would be great if people in
this group could help provide some input to whether we are on the
right track, anything that we are missing etc etc.

The cost of this solution is looking at around $3,000 USD for the
basebaords and $2,000 for the dual energy boiler. Of course on top of
that we will have the installation and plumbing.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Hmmm,
That is very good rate for the electricity. In Calgary, I pay 0.082.
Just locked it on a deal for 5 years at 0.07 with Enmax.