Andrew Sarangan

Default Woodstove Fireplace Repair

I have a woodstove in the living room with a stove pipe that runs into the
wall and into the chimney. The name on it says "Ember Hearth". It looks
very old, and is made of some heavy metal. The stove does not seem to work
well. The fire does not stay on for very long, and there is hardly any
heat. It has an electric fan that seem to run ok, and I have made sure that
the chute is open. Most HVAC repairman do not seem to know how to repair
this unit. I am willing to give it try, but I do not know where to start. I
have not found any information on the web either. Any pointers would be
appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.usenet.com
SQLit

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 4...
I have a woodstove in the living room with a stove pipe that runs into the
wall and into the chimney. The name on it says "Ember Hearth". It looks
very old, and is made of some heavy metal. The stove does not seem to work
well. The fire does not stay on for very long, and there is hardly any
heat. It has an electric fan that seem to run ok, and I have made sure

that
the chute is open. Most HVAC repairman do not seem to know how to repair
this unit. I am willing to give it try, but I do not know where to start.

have not found any information on the web either. Any pointers would be
appreciated. Thanks!

Has the flue been cleaned? If you can not maintain a fire then either the
air in or the gasses out is killing the fire, or a both.
What does the fan do? if it blows into the room then it is not part of the
problem.
Fireplaces flues in my opinion should be cleaned once a year. My old house
had one and I bought a brush some where and with the help of a friend could
clean mine in less than an hour. The clean up of the house was about the
same length of time. Soot falls down. Cover everything

---

Boatman

Tip: Clean your flue in the spring after the last fire. The
corrosive effects of the ash on the flue (both brick mortar or steel
liner) is minimized. Flues are expensive to replace/repair.

Mike