Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to frame for smooth ceiling?

I am finishing a basement and had planned on drop ceiling, but now I
am considering smooth if I can either frame out the ceiling myself or
have someone do it for a reasonable cost.

I have a 9ft ceiling, and need to frame out at around 7.5-8ft to get
below the ductworks/pipes etc. Some of it will be tray in the larger
rooms.

I framed the walls in my basement, so I am assuming doing the ceiling
is similar? But since it is over your head, there are probably
special considerations.

Any guides or photos on how to frame this out? I tried to google but
did not have a lot of luck.

1) general code requirements?
2) size of boards, 2x4?
3) any maximum lengths or spacing between spans (ie can you span a
16ft board across the room or should it be 8ft nailed to support then
run another 8ft)?
4) how to hang/secure to joists?
5) can boards be nailed on ends or should I use hangers?

Framing a wall was not that difficult but a ceiling is pretty
important to get it right. Thanks for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 4:09 pm, Brandon wrote:
[...]

The USG web site has information on framing with steel studs and
installing Sheetrock. Their handbook is the bible of the drywall
industry, and it's all available online.

Posted to alt.home.repair

USG makes a grid system for hanging drywall. The components are
just like a suspended ceiling grid, but a bit wider and designed
to screw drywall.

Go here and scroll down to USG drywall suspension ceiling system:
http://www.usg.com/resources/handboo...1&sectionNum=7

These materials may not be available at the Borg stores, but any
commercial drywall house will have it. You will need to know how
to install a square grid, but it is more forgiving than a lay-in
ceiling.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Brandon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
USG makes a grid system for hanging drywall. The components are just like
a suspended ceiling grid, but a bit wider and designed to screw drywall.

Go here and scroll down to USG drywall suspension ceiling system:
http://www.usg.com/resources/handboo...1&sectionNum=7

These materials may not be available at the Borg stores, but any
commercial drywall house will have it. You will need to know how to
install a square grid, but it is more forgiving than a lay-in ceiling.

I agree the USG System is the best way to go but a DIY project for a novice
(no offense to original poster), I think not. Get a pro to install it.
Hanging 5/8 drywall on a ceiling to metal framing is NO FUN either..Believe
me,I know all to well...LOL
--
______________________________

"Brandon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

On Jun 28, 4:09 pm, Brandon wrote:
I am finishing a basement and had planned on drop ceiling, but now I
am considering smooth if I can either frame out the ceiling myself or
have someone do it for a reasonable cost.

I have a 9ft ceiling, and need to frame out at around 7.5-8ft to get
below the ductworks/pipes etc. Some of it will be tray in the larger
rooms.

I framed the walls in my basement, so I am assuming doing the ceiling
is similar? But since it is over your head, there are probably
special considerations.

Don't forget that you can't close off access to mechanicals. All
electrical junction boxes must remain accessible, and you will also
need access to all water and gas shutoffs.

In addition, even if you still keep it legal by putting in access
doors to the required mechanicals, think about any future upgrades
that you may want to do, such as adding an outlet in the living room,
adding a new bathroom where you will need to run plumbing, etc. You
might turn a trivial job into a major problem if you drywall the
ceiling. If I ever ceilinged-in my basement, it would be a nightmare
for me to fix a lot of things that are easily accessible right now.

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don't forget that you can't close off access to mechanicals. All
electrical junction boxes must remain accessible, and you will also
need access to all water and gas shutoffs.

In addition, even if you still keep it legal by putting in access
doors to the required mechanicals, think about any future upgrades
that you may want to do, such as adding an outlet in the living room,
adding a new bathroom where you will need to run plumbing, etc. You
might turn a trivial job into a major problem if you drywall the
ceiling. If I ever ceilinged-in my basement, it would be a nightmare
for me to fix a lot of things that are easily accessible right now.

I agree with Ken ... I would never close off access.

There are some really attractive suspended ceilings now available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
news

"DanG" wrote in message
USG makes a grid system for hanging drywall. The components are just
like a suspended ceiling grid, but a bit wider and designed to screw
drywall.

Go here and scroll down to USG drywall suspension ceiling system:
http://www.usg.com/resources/handboo...1&sectionNum=7

These materials may not be available at the Borg stores, but any
commercial drywall house will have it. You will need to know how to
install a square grid, but it is more forgiving than a lay-in ceiling.

I agree the USG System is the best way to go but a DIY project for a
novice (no offense to original poster), I think not. Get a pro to install
it. Hanging 5/8 drywall on a ceiling to metal framing is NO FUN
either..Believe me,I know all to well...LOL

Why does it have to be 5/8? We do 1/2 all the time upstairs in new
construction!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't forget that you can't close off access to mechanicals. All
electrical junction boxes must remain accessible, and you will also
need access to all water and gas shutoffs.

In addition, even if you still keep it legal by putting in access
doors to the required mechanicals, think about any future upgrades
that you may want to do, such as adding an outlet in the living room,
adding a new bathroom where you will need to run plumbing, etc. You
might turn a trivial job into a major problem if you drywall the
ceiling. If I ever ceilinged-in my basement, it would be a nightmare
for me to fix a lot of things that are easily accessible right now.

Ken

Yeah, I know and agree. If I did smooth ceiling it would cost more
money and a lot more time as I have already done most of the
electrical in the ceiling. I would have to redo it all, and rerun
lines that are terminated in the metal boxes in the joists (I had run
a whip from the metal box with the intention of connecting to whatever
was put in the drop ceiling). On top of this, I would need to leave
access ports for gas cutoff to fireplace and water lines. As a home
theater nut, I would also want to leave the space open for new
technology/wiring.

BUT, even with that said, smooth ceiling is definitely more
attractive, and can make a basement look more polished (and attractive
to buyers).

I am just trying to figure out how difficult it is to do the framing
for drywall ceiling. If I do wood or metal, then I have to wait and
get it installed before I can place the electrical boxes for
inspection. (I assume they would have to be in place in the framing).

BTW, how do you secure a light fixture box to a metal grid if it is
made for drywall? Is it a special kind of box?