Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default How to frame for smooth ceiling?

On Jun 28, 4:09 pm, Brandon wrote:
I am finishing a basement and had planned on drop ceiling, but now I
am considering smooth if I can either frame out the ceiling myself or
have someone do it for a reasonable cost.

I have a 9ft ceiling, and need to frame out at around 7.5-8ft to get
below the ductworks/pipes etc. Some of it will be tray in the larger
rooms.

I framed the walls in my basement, so I am assuming doing the ceiling
is similar? But since it is over your head, there are probably
special considerations.

Any guides or photos on how to frame this out? I tried to google but
did not have a lot of luck.

1) general code requirements?
2) size of boards, 2x4?
3) any maximum lengths or spacing between spans (ie can you span a
16ft board across the room or should it be 8ft nailed to support then
run another 8ft)?
4) how to hang/secure to joists?
5) can boards be nailed on ends or should I use hangers?

Framing a wall was not that difficult but a ceiling is pretty
important to get it right. Thanks for any help.

The USG web site has information on framing with steel studs and
installing Sheetrock. Their handbook is the bible of the drywall
industry, and it's all available online.