Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default How to frame for smooth ceiling?

USG makes a grid system for hanging drywall. The components are
just like a suspended ceiling grid, but a bit wider and designed
to screw drywall.

Go here and scroll down to USG drywall suspension ceiling system:
http://www.usg.com/resources/handboo...1&sectionNum=7

These materials may not be available at the Borg stores, but any
commercial drywall house will have it. You will need to know how
to install a square grid, but it is more forgiving than a lay-in
ceiling.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Brandon" wrote in message
I am finishing a basement and had planned on drop ceiling, but
now I
am considering smooth if I can either frame out the ceiling
myself or
have someone do it for a reasonable cost.

I have a 9ft ceiling, and need to frame out at around 7.5-8ft to
get
below the ductworks/pipes etc. Some of it will be tray in the
larger
rooms.

I framed the walls in my basement, so I am assuming doing the
ceiling
is similar? But since it is over your head, there are probably
special considerations.

Any guides or photos on how to frame this out? I tried to
google but
did not have a lot of luck.

1) general code requirements?
2) size of boards, 2x4?
3) any maximum lengths or spacing between spans (ie can you span
16ft board across the room or should it be 8ft nailed to support
then
run another 8ft)?
4) how to hang/secure to joists?
5) can boards be nailed on ends or should I use hangers?

Framing a wall was not that difficult but a ceiling is pretty
important to get it right. Thanks for any help.