Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwsher rack rust - touchup plastic

Hi All,

My Kenmore dishwasher as developed a case of the rusts on the slide out
rack. The plastic cover on the wire rack is worn out in places, showing
metal, which of course rusts.

Sears sells a touchup vinyl (or some other plastic) paint for that purpose,
but am not sure if this is the only option. Theirs is somewhat expensive -
$37 including shipping.

Is there another solution to this? Is there plastic paint I can use for
this purpose that is sold in stores?

New racks are just too expensive - $150 for both, top and bottom.

Regards,

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"RichK" wrote:

Hi All,

My Kenmore dishwasher as developed a case of the rusts on the slide out
rack. The plastic cover on the wire rack is worn out in places, showing
metal, which of course rusts.

Sears sells a touchup vinyl (or some other plastic) paint for that purpose,
but am not sure if this is the only option. Theirs is somewhat expensive -
$37 including shipping.

Is there another solution to this? Is there plastic paint I can use for
this purpose that is sold in stores?

New racks are just too expensive - $150 for both, top and bottom.

Regards,

Rich

You could get a part time minimum wage job at mcdonalds and earn that
$150 in the time you spend trying to fix that problem, and you'll never
be happy with the results anyway. Whatever you put on there is going to
look bad and fall off PDQ, speculates I. But if you insist, maybe try
the gunk sold for dipping tool handles into to coat them with plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Jun, 10:03, "RichK" wrote:
Hi All,

My Kenmore dishwasher as developed a case of the rusts on the slide out
rack. The plastic cover on the wire rack is worn out in places, showing
metal, which of course rusts.

Sears sells a touchup vinyl (or some other plastic) paint for that purpose,
but am not sure if this is the only option. Theirs is somewhat expensive -
$37 including shipping.

Is there another solution to this? Is there plastic paint I can use for
this purpose that is sold in stores?

New racks are just too expensive - $150 for both, top and bottom.

Regards,

Rich

Two Suggestions (which you may have already tried)

1 - Check out local and/or online appliance repair sites. You may find
that you can get the racks for a lot cheaper than $150. Many stores/
sites will have OEM replacements which will probably be cheaper than
getting the parts through Sears. Try a local shop first since you
might save a bit on shipping vs. a online store.

2 - Check out local and/or online appliance repair sites for the
repair kits, some which come with paint for the racks and tips for the
tines. Many stores/sites will have generic repair kits which will
probably be cheaper than getting the kit through Sears.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

1 - Check out local and/or online appliance repair sites. You may find
that you can get the racks for a lot cheaper than $150.

The upper rack is a bit tricky. Not many local applience stores left. The
brand is Kanmore, so I gave Sears a try, but I suspect parts from other
brands will fit.

2 - Check out local and/or online appliance repair sites for the
repair kits, some which come with paint for the racks and tips for the
tines.

Have found some on-line since that post, all approach $30 shipped. Thought
that there may be some paint/product that is not even sold by appliance
stores.

Suggestion to use tool handle material was good, but not sure where to find
it and if it came in white.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

RichK wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

1 - Check out local and/or online appliance repair sites. You may find
that you can get the racks for a lot cheaper than $150.

The upper rack is a bit tricky. Not many local applience stores left. The
brand is Kanmore, so I gave Sears a try, but I suspect parts from other
brands will fit.

2 - Check out local and/or online appliance repair sites for the
repair kits, some which come with paint for the racks and tips for the
tines.

Have found some on-line since that post, all approach $30 shipped. Thought
that there may be some paint/product that is not even sold by appliance
stores.

Suggestion to use tool handle material was good, but not sure where to find
it and if it came in white.

Rich

Its called Plastidip. It comes in white:
http://www.plastidip.com/consumer/products.html
Try your local big box store, tool section.

--
Grandpa

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Jun, 14:16, "RichK" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
1 - Check out local and/or online appliance repair sites. You may find
that you can get the racks for a lot cheaper than $150.

The upper rack is a bit tricky. Not many local applience stores left. The
brand is Kanmore, so I gave Sears a try, but I suspect parts from other
brands will fit.

Your Kenmore might be a Whirlpool. There may also be OEM replacements
that are cheaper than the brand name parts.
Google the model number and/or part number and see what you find.

Another suggestion would be to try and order the racks through a local
repair person. Explain your situation and perhaps his "dealer
discount" would offset the cost of any profit he might make. Offer to
pick it up at a location of his choosing so he doesn't have to deliver
it.

2 - Check out local and/or online appliance repair sites for the
repair kits, some which come with paint for the racks and tips for the
tines.

Have found some on-line since that post, all approach $30 shipped. Thought
that there may be some paint/product that is not even sold by appliance
stores.

I'm not sure what the shipping will be, but the kit here costs $8.99

http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=12835

Suggestion to use tool handle material was good, but not sure where to find
it and if it came in white.

I'd be concerned about the heat and moisture associated with a
dishwasher. Rarely is a pair of pliers subjected to conditions
similiar to that inside a dishwasher.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RichK" wrote on 13 Jun 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

Hi All,

My Kenmore dishwasher as developed a case of the rusts on the slide
out rack. The plastic cover on the wire rack is worn out in places,
showing metal, which of course rusts.

Sears sells a touchup vinyl (or some other plastic) paint for that
purpose, but am not sure if this is the only option. Theirs is
somewhat expensive - $37 including shipping.

Is there another solution to this? Is there plastic paint I can use
for this purpose that is sold in stores?

New racks are just too expensive - $150 for both, top and bottom.

I had the same problem when I sold my last house -- the buyer complained
about the worn-out spots in the dishwasher. (Luckily, my wife never
complained about the rusty spots on the back of the plates.)

I bought the touchup vinyl and dipped each rusty tine into the bottle
about an inch, then let the rack dry upside down. I then used the brush
in the lid to touch up other random failures. I think I remember doing
two coats in a few spots.

Total investment: about $20 for the paint, and 30 minutes applying it.
The real secret was in dipping the tines and letting them dry upside
down.

The buyer thought I purchased new racks. I still have most of the
bottle. You can have it if you want.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement