Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Parts Rip Off

Venting Mode On...

I'm feeling a bit ripped off right now.

I bought an exterior receptacle box for a GFCI. The box comes with 5
threaded holes, 2 on each end and 1 in the back. However, it only
comes with 2 plugs. Now, I could be wrong, and I know there are many
cases where only 2 plugs are required, but I'm guessing the majority
need more. Any installation at the end of a run for a light or a
receptacle is only going to use 1 hole and most installations in the
middle of a run will only use 2 holes.

So, if my guess is correct, then the majority of consumers have to
spend another couple of bucks ($2.45 to be exact) to buy a pack of
plugs for the extra holes. Of course, the plugs come in packs of 4, so
unless you're installing more than one box, odds are you'll have
extras when you're done.

Venting Mode Off...

Anybody want to buy 2 plugs? $1.50 + S&H

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You can get boxes with 1 hole each end 1 in the back
1 hole each end 1 in each side 1 in
the back
1 hole in one side 2 in the other 1
in the back
and so on and on two
fillers in each
this is single gang two gang have more options

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 7:07 pm, "Mark H" nomail wrote:
[...]

this is single gang two gang have more options- Hide quoted text -

Not at my borg...and on a Sunday, there's isn't much of a choice. Had
I planned my time better I would have gone to an electrical supply
house during the week and saved some money.

My point (and I was only being half serious anyway) is that these
companies know how to package their items such that they force
consumers to spend more money than they need to. We see it every day
with the accessories they include vs. what they don't. It always seems
that the one you want doesn't come with the item.

I just felt like venting before...I'm OK now. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Mark H wrote:
You can get boxes with 1 hole each end 1 in the back
1 hole each end 1 in each side 1 in
the back
1 hole in one side 2 in the other 1
in the back
and so on and on two
fillers in each
this is single gang two gang have more options

This is one of many frustrations the average do-it-yourselfer has with
the big box stores. They carry both types of boxes, but the one with
fewer holes is in greater demand, thus resulting in it being out of
stock frequently. So the customer is faced with two alternatives:
spend more money on the box with more holes and buy the additional
filler plugs, or search around town for the preferred box.

Just one of several situations making advance planning and online
shopping more attractive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
My point (and I was only being half serious anyway) is that these
companies know how to package their items such that they force
consumers to spend more money than they need to. We see it every day
with the accessories they include vs. what they don't. It always seems
that the one you want doesn't come with the item.

I just felt like venting before...I'm OK now. ;-)

And I am happy to be here for you and to agree with you.

Now, if only we could come up with an better acronym for borg.

Better leave that one to wits in the group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

My point (and I was only being half serious anyway) is that these
companies know how to package their items such that they force
consumers to spend more money than they need to. We see it every day
with the accessories they include vs. what they don't. It always seems
that the one you want doesn't come with the item.

I just felt like venting before...I'm OK now. ;-)

Does the package say anything about the number of plugs? Perhaps is was
just not packed correctly? I'd certainly let the company know I'm not
buying there brand in the future.

Yes, I'd be PO'd too, especially if I had to go back to the store to buy
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 8:36 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 10, 7:07 pm, "Mark H" nomail wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I just felt like venting before...I'm OK now. ;-)- Hide quoted text -

You shopped at the Borg, you put the local guy who had a box of plugs
on the counter out of business, you got what you deserved.