Jon Anderson

Default Electrical parts for older power tools, sources?

I have a really old Chicago Pneumatic Model A, 1/2" drill that needs new
brush holders. This is a beast of a drill, and I'd machine up new brush
holders before tossing, but would rather buy.

Also have an older Craftsman aluminum drill, 1/4" capacity. Says "60"
right below the Craftsman legend, p/n 315.7910. Grip is behind the
motor. This needs the trigger switch. Took the switch apart to see if I
could repair, but it was hosed. I've not been able to find anything
easily adaptable. I could crudely hack something in there, but would
really like to find a switch that looks like it belongs.

I'm just guessing, but both are probably at least 40 years old. Does
anyone know of sources for electrical components for older tools?

Thanks,

Jon
MOP CAP

If you could send a picture I might be able to help you. At one time
when I was in the surplus business I bought out the old stock of a
switch dealer and there were 100's of trigger sw. but no reference to
what tools thay went to. When I went out of business I saved 50 or so
and scrapped the rest.

Chuck P.
jim rozen

In article , Jon Anderson says...

I have a really old Chicago Pneumatic Model A, 1/2" drill that needs new
brush holders. This is a beast of a drill, and I'd machine up new brush
holders before tossing, but would rather buy.

Also have an older Craftsman aluminum drill, 1/4" capacity. Says "60"
right below the Craftsman legend, p/n 315.7910. Grip is behind the
motor. This needs the trigger switch. Took the switch apart to see if I
could repair, but it was hosed. I've not been able to find anything
easily adaptable. I could crudely hack something in there, but would
really like to find a switch that looks like it belongs.

I'm just guessing, but both are probably at least 40 years old. Does
anyone know of sources for electrical components for older tools?

This may sound crazy but I would suggest looking in your local hardware
store. Mine has a bunch of 'canned' items that are contained in yellow
plastic boxes, and they include odd things like carbon brushes, and I
think also trigger switches. I forget the brand but the line is put
out by a common, national outfit.

Other source of course is by canibalizing other old power tools!

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
desperado

-- cant help on the brush holders, but I had some switches that went bad on
a chop saw. If it the same kind of switch with the triggers on it, they are
known as "snap switches". I found a good source from Mcmaster Carr. hope
that helps.
don paolino
"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
I have a really old Chicago Pneumatic Model A, 1/2" drill that needs new
brush holders. This is a beast of a drill, and I'd machine up new brush
holders before tossing, but would rather buy.

Also have an older Craftsman aluminum drill, 1/4" capacity. Says "60"
right below the Craftsman legend, p/n 315.7910. Grip is behind the
motor. This needs the trigger switch. Took the switch apart to see if I
could repair, but it was hosed. I've not been able to find anything
easily adaptable. I could crudely hack something in there, but would
really like to find a switch that looks like it belongs.

I'm just guessing, but both are probably at least 40 years old. Does
anyone know of sources for electrical components for older tools?

Thanks,

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MOP CAP

In article , desperado
wrote:

If you could send me a picture annotated with dims I might be able to
help you with the switch. I once bought the obsolete inventory of a
switch dist. There was several hundred of them.

Chuck P.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

thesociologist had written this in response to
http://rittercnc.com/metalworking/Re...es-108352-.htm
:

-------------------------------------
desperado wrote:

[...]

Jon, I acquired a Craftsman 315.7910 and just completed the buck-passing
telephone circuit at Sears Parts to find out they no longer service this
model. Did you find an alternate source for parts? This one runs, but it
runs intermitantly. I think the bushing probably need replacing, but I
have not been inside yet.

-Roger-

Delivered via http://www.rittercnc.com/
Metalworking Forums
rec.crafts.metalworking - 164009 messages and counting!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 26, 10:05*am,
(thesociologist) wrote:
thesociologist had written this in response tohttp://rittercnc.com/metalworking/Re-Electrical-parts-for-older-power...
*:

-------------------------------------

desperado wrote:
[...]

Most manufacturers (the folks who actually make the equipment) have
been cutting back on parts inventory in the last decade.

In this downturn, I can imagine them eliminating parts completely.

The others have decided to make parts a "profit center" which means
that the part will cost more than a new tool.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:36:29 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

desperado wrote:
[...]

And it is more expensive to import individual parts from China than to
bring in the assembled tool - only one item to keep track of.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Cheapo Power Tools Magician UK diy 76 March 28th 05 10:59 PM
beginner tools Justa Beginner Woodworking 14 March 3rd 05 03:15 AM
Who Makes What Tools Gunner Metalworking 7 March 27th 04 10:00 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM