Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default Electrical parts for older power tools, sources?

On 26 Jun 2009 15:05:43 GMT,
(thesociologist) wrote:

Jon, I acquired a Craftsman 315.7910 and just completed the buck-passing
telephone circuit at Sears Parts to find out they no longer service this
model. Did you find an alternate source for parts? This one runs, but it
runs intermitantly. I think the bushing probably need replacing, but I
have not been inside yet.

Responding straight from Usenet...

The first trick to getting parts for a Sears or Craftsman labelled
tool is to find out who made the tool for them - Sears buys all their
tools from outside vendors with their name on them.

There's a list floating around somewhere, basically the first digits
of the Sears part number (315) identify the maker of the tool...

Sometimes the case is partially customized with their regular
production innards, sometimes it's a color change and different
labels. And sometimes it's just labels - my first Craftsman cordless
drill was a Skil Boar Hog with different labels, period. And the
parts and replacement battery packs were a lot cheaper and easier to
get from a Skil Service Center.

Pounded on that bugger for over 10 years, then graduated to the
original DeWalt 18V 4-pack and never looked back.

-- Bruce --