Posted to alt.home.repair

Default go kart engine flywheel drags against coil contact

to get a bigger spark, i removed the flywheel, sanded the magnets
clean. now, when i tighten the flywheel back on the magnet seems to
drag on the coil. the harder i tighten the more it drags. what is
wrong???

i'm getting a good spark from the wire now. but when i connect it to
the brand new spark plug, i see no spark. the spark plug boot is just
rubber, so it's pretty much just raw wires touching against the top of
the plug in the boot. do i need a boot with metal in them like the
ones in cars?

this was my problem in the first place which is why i took the whole
thing apart. good spark from the wire ain't getting to the plug. wtf?

thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 4:54 pm, wrote:
to get a bigger spark, i removed the flywheel, sanded the magnets
clean. now, when i tighten the flywheel back on the magnet seems to
drag on the coil. the harder i tighten the more it drags. what is
wrong???

i'm getting a good spark from the wire now. but when i connect it to
the brand new spark plug, i see no spark. the spark plug boot is just
rubber, so it's pretty much just raw wires touching against the top of
the plug in the boot. do i need a boot with metal in them like the
ones in cars?

this was my problem in the first place which is why i took the whole
thing apart. good spark from the wire ain't getting to the plug. wtf?

thanks

could it be because the flywheel key is in the wrong spot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You do know that you need to space the gap between the magnets on
the magneto and the coil pickup? Loosen the two bolts holding the
coil, pull the unit away from the flywheel or remove and clean the
contacts. Center the alignment mark on the flywheel between the
contacts on the coil with a business card holding them apart the
proper distance. The magnets will pull the coil to the magneto
very hard. Tighten the two bolts. Remove the business card.

I've not seen a lawn mower type engine that didn't have a metal
contact inside the rubber boot that grabbed the top of the spark
plug.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:12:41 -0500, "DanG" wrote:
..

I've not seen a lawn mower type engine that didn't have a metal
contact inside the rubber boot that grabbed the top of the spark
plug.

Me neither. You can steal one from your previous set of auto spark
plug wires (which I presume you saved for things like this)

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
news
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:12:41 -0500, "DanG" wrote:
.

I've not seen a lawn mower type engine that didn't have a metal
contact inside the rubber boot that grabbed the top of the spark
plug.

Me neither. You can steal one from your previous set of auto spark
plug wires (which I presume you saved for things like this)

you can probably buy a new one at an auto parts store.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

pulling flywheel on go kart engine [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 10th 07 11:40 PM
go kart engine trouble [email protected] Home Repair 8 June 8th 07 05:30 AM
COIL ENGINE BOAT J T Woodworking 0 September 22nd 06 12:56 AM
Go-Kart engine problems (Briggs and Stratton) Gary H Home Repair 10 July 8th 06 06:38 PM
using a VW type 1 engine for a go-kart [email protected] Metalworking 17 June 16th 05 05:37 AM