Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default go kart engine flywheel drags against coil contact

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:02:35 -0700, wrote:

On Jun 10, 4:54 pm, wrote:
to get a bigger spark, i removed the flywheel, sanded the magnets
clean. now, when i tighten the flywheel back on the magnet seems to
drag on the coil. the harder i tighten the more it drags. what is
wrong???

i'm getting a good spark from the wire now. but when i connect it to
the brand new spark plug, i see no spark. the spark plug boot is just
rubber, so it's pretty much just raw wires touching against the top of
the plug in the boot. do i need a boot with metal in them like the
ones in cars?

this was my problem in the first place which is why i took the whole
thing apart. good spark from the wire ain't getting to the plug. wtf?

If you mean the plug dangles from the wire and you get no spark, then
you need to ground the plug to the engine ( rest the plug on the head
and ensure a good contact).

thanks

could it be because the flywheel key is in the wrong spot?

That's exactly what I would look at... Seating the flywheel can be
tricky if the key slips a bit. In the past I've used a dab of bearing
grease to hold the key in place while seating the flywheel.
--
Oren