Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default go kart engine flywheel drags against coil contact

You do know that you need to space the gap between the magnets on
the magneto and the coil pickup? Loosen the two bolts holding the
coil, pull the unit away from the flywheel or remove and clean the
contacts. Center the alignment mark on the flywheel between the
contacts on the coil with a business card holding them apart the
proper distance. The magnets will pull the coil to the magneto
very hard. Tighten the two bolts. Remove the business card.

I've not seen a lawn mower type engine that didn't have a metal
contact inside the rubber boot that grabbed the top of the spark
plug.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
ups.com...
to get a bigger spark, i removed the flywheel, sanded the
magnets
clean. now, when i tighten the flywheel back on the magnet seems
drag on the coil. the harder i tighten the more it drags. what
is
wrong???

i'm getting a good spark from the wire now. but when i connect
it to
the brand new spark plug, i see no spark. the spark plug boot is
just
rubber, so it's pretty much just raw wires touching against the
top of
the plug in the boot. do i need a boot with metal in them like
the
ones in cars?

this was my problem in the first place which is why i took the
whole
thing apart. good spark from the wire ain't getting to the plug.
wtf?

thanks.