Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pulling flywheel on go kart engine

do you need a special tool? i have a weak spark and i have a feeling
it has something to do with the magnet. before i took it all apart, it
had a spark, after i put the spring puller mechanism back together
there was nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
do you need a special tool? i have a weak spark and i have a feeling
it has something to do with the magnet. before i took it all apart,
it
had a spark, after i put the spring puller mechanism back together
there was nothing.

I've had good results on mower engines by prying gently on the
flywheel, just enough to move it to the end of the play of the
crankshaft bearings, and tapping on the end of the shaft with a
hammer. I leave the shaft end nut on but loosened until the top of it
lines up with the end of the shaft to protect the threads. Remember, I
said tapping, not pounding. What you want is for the impact to move
the shaft just enough for the connection to loosen. The inertia of the
flywheel and the play of the shaft bearings focuses the tapping on the
connection between the flywheel and the shaft.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

The flywheel will break WAY easier than the end of the crank. The
suggestion to pry up gently on the flywheel and whack the crank is the
proper method.

--
Steve Barker

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 09:09:59 -0700, wrote:
Tap the flywheel upward (clock face - 12, 3 6 and 9).

Do not hammer on the crankshaft, IMHO.

With 220 grit paper to sand the magnets and the coil contact. Check
for a cracked wire under the flywheel.

--
Oren

"I don't have anything against work. I just figure, why deprive somebody
who really loves it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:32:01 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 13:18:35 -0700, Oren wrote:

Do not hammer on the crankshaft, IMHO.

I don't recommend not using a puller but you can thread the nut
part way over the end of the shaft so you don't damage the thread, pull
the flywheel on the side with the keyway and tap on the nut then move
your hand and pull in other places. I've done this once or twice a long
time ago without ill effects.

I _would_ resort to hitting the crankshaft if that was my only means
of getting the flywheel off. Like a sheared/damaged key is seriously
jammed or binding. If I can avoid it I do (few times necessary).

--
Oren