Posted to alt.home.repair
BZ BZ is offline

Default New flooring over old

I've got a room with vinyl flooring that has been there since about
1978. I went to remove it, and it looks like the floor was floated
before the vinyl floor was installed, but I scraped up some of the float
(just a patch about a square foot in size).

I'm thinking about putting in a wood floor, and am wondering whether I
should remove the vinyl floor, or just lay down wood on top. Any
thoughts on whether the vinyl should be removed first, and whether the
floor needs to be refloated under wood?

Also, this room has direct exterior access. Is a wood floor (not Pergo)
a good idea, or is it likely to show wear near the door? What about
that bamboo flooring that seems to popular right now?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BZ" wrote in message
I'm thinking about putting in a wood floor, and am wondering whether I
should remove the vinyl floor, or just lay down wood on top. Any thoughts
on whether the vinyl should be removed first, and whether the floor needs
to be refloated under wood?

Also, this room has direct exterior access. Is a wood floor (not Pergo) a
good idea, or is it likely to show wear near the door? What about that
bamboo flooring that seems to popular right now?

I'd remove the vinyl to eliminate potential problems in the future.

As for wear near the door, put a mat or throw rug thee to help keep the rest
of hte floors clean and minimize wear. I don't have any experience with
bamboo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"BZ" wrote in message
I'm thinking about putting in a wood floor, and am wondering whether I
should remove the vinyl floor, or just lay down wood on top. Any
thoughts on whether the vinyl should be removed first, and whether the
floor needs to be refloated under wood?

Also, this room has direct exterior access. Is a wood floor (not Pergo)
a good idea, or is it likely to show wear near the door? What about that
bamboo flooring that seems to popular right now?

I'd remove the vinyl to eliminate potential problems in the future.

As for wear near the door, put a mat or throw rug thee to help keep the
rest of hte floors clean and minimize wear. I don't have any experience
with bamboo.

IMHO, any wood or wood-like flooring near a weather door is a mistake. It
will get wet at some point. Plan accordingly. I'd look real hard at having
a patch of tile or slate there.

aem sends....

Junior Member

My understanding is that adhesives and OSB (oriented strand board) don’t play well together, so if you live in a low-end track home like me, OSB subfloors are not good for traditional (glued) vinyl. If you’re talking about a floating floor made from click-together plank vinyl (the good stuff that looks like engineered wood floors), you should be good to go on any hard/level surface including OSB.

If you are interested bamboo flooring click here
Bamboo Flooring | Bamboo Flooring in India | Inovar Floor

Flooring [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 12th 07 01:18 PM
Flooring [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 12th 07 01:18 PM
Flooring Paul Home Repair 2 April 7th 06 02:45 PM
Natura engineered wooden flooring from Flooring Supplies - any experiences? Mark Walters UK diy 3 February 15th 05 09:24 PM
New Kitchen: Flooring b4 units or units b4 flooring? Vortex UK diy 8 November 7th 03 07:00 PM