Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running boards for wiring unfinished basement

I have to install some more wiring and receptacles in my unfinished
basement. I know I have to make running boards for the wire that runs
perpendicular to the floor joists, but I'm not sure exactly how. Can someone
link a picture or specifications? Is it just a flat board or does it have to
have sides that extend past the wire like a channel? I don't want to drill
holes in the joists at this time because all the rest of the wiring is just
stapled across the joists.

Thanks
Dante

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I don't think that the NEC clearly defines "running board" , so I would
imaging a 2x4 could be used as well as a 1x6 depending upon how much cable
you need to run

"Dante" wrote in message
I have to install some more wiring and receptacles in my unfinished
basement. I know I have to make running boards for the wire that runs
perpendicular to the floor joists, but I'm not sure exactly how. Can
someone link a picture or specifications? Is it just a flat board or does
it have to have sides that extend past the wire like a channel? I don't
want to drill holes in the joists at this time because all the rest of the
wiring is just stapled across the joists.

Thanks
Dante

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had that problem 50 years of others doing all surface wiring.

So I just added more then installed a drop suspended cieling. It
protects the wiring .....

and added some value giving basement a finished look

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 May 2007 19:21:17 -0400, "Dante" wrote:

I have to install some more wiring and receptacles in my unfinished
basement. I know I have to make running boards for the wire that runs
perpendicular to the floor joists, but I'm not sure exactly how. Can someone
link a picture or specifications? Is it just a flat board or does it have to
have sides that extend past the wire like a channel? I don't want to drill
holes in the joists at this time because all the rest of the wiring is just
stapled across the joists.

Thanks
Dante

By the time you buy the boards, you may be cheaper off running EMT
conduit and just putting in single strand wire with a box on the end
to feed the romex to the fixtures.