Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outdoor Flood Lights-Juice but no Light

On Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 9:06:52 AM UTC-7, CooSer wrote:
I am a little baffled. I have flood lights that used to work. They stopped
working so I replaced the bulbs with indoor/outdoor type flood lights. This
did not fix the problem. I checked the sockets with my little $6 voltage
detector and there is power. In fact, there is power in the sockets whether
the switch is on or off.

Now could it not be working because I need a special 'Outdoor' bulb? Or,
since I get a power reading with the switch on or off, is there something
wrong in the wiring?

Any suggestions would be great!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 9:06:52 AM UTC-7, CooSer wrote:
I am a little baffled. I have flood lights that used to work. They stopped
working so I replaced the bulbs with indoor/outdoor type flood lights. This
did not fix the problem. I checked the sockets with my little $6 voltage
detector and there is power. In fact, there is power in the sockets whether
the switch is on or off.

Now could it not be working because I need a special 'Outdoor' bulb? Or,
since I get a power reading with the switch on or off, is there something
wrong in the wiring?

Any suggestions would be great!

I had similar problem. May be same as yours. Our original flood lights are ~ 10 years old. Bulbs work fine. I purchased color flood lights for holidays. Plugged them in and none of them worked. tested them in indoor lamp socket and they worked fine. On close inspection the original bulbs had an extra length of thread compared with the news ones. I suspected the new bulbs were not making contact in socket. An electrician clued me in on purchasing socket extensions. I purchased a Leviton Standard porcelain extender from Orchard Supply ($4.95) also here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-2005-...viton+extender

Worked like a charm!! Hopefully this solves your problem.

Cheers!