Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screw drive garage door opener binds...needs lube?

My garage door makes it 1/3 of the way up and then begins to bind.
This is a screw drive opener. The rail between the opener and the
garage door, that holds the screw, begins to flex fairly seriously.
It appears this has bent the rail, and potentially the screw inside.
A neighbor told me he thought the screw just needed to be lubed. I
bought a tube of lube but am not real sure exactly *how* to lube the
screw. Do I just squirt the lube directly onto the screw for it's
full length? If the lube does not solve the problem, does the opener
need to be moved further away from the door or something like that?

Thank you for helping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine use to bind up when the weather got cold and lubing it fixed that
problem.

I put the lube on the screw in places over the full length and then
open and closed the door a couple of times to spread it around.

That is about as much as I know.

If lubing it doesn't fix the problem I don't know what to tell you.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
My garage door makes it 1/3 of the way up and then begins to bind.
This is a screw drive opener. The rail between the opener and the
garage door, that holds the screw, begins to flex fairly seriously.
It appears this has bent the rail, and potentially the screw inside.
A neighbor told me he thought the screw just needed to be lubed. I
bought a tube of lube but am not real sure exactly *how* to lube the
screw. Do I just squirt the lube directly onto the screw for it's
full length? If the lube does not solve the problem, does the opener
need to be moved further away from the door or something like that?

It sounds far more serious than just lubrication on the screw.

Phil provided good advice to first disconnect the door and all. I
agree w/ all that and would just add --

If there's any indication of damage already that needs to be fixed
first or will simply exacerbate the problem even more. It's possible
there's an actual break in the screw on one side or the other (or even
both) and maybe that's causing a hard interference. The "serious
flexing" makes it sound like there is a restriction between that point
and the mount that wouldn't be the door itself binding as that would
be tension in the "up" direction...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make sure you use the right lube if you do lube it. Most stores carry garage
door lube. I can't say why its special but I do know that regular lithium
grease doesnt work in cold weather ( found out the hardway).

I deposited a dab of lube every 4 inches on the screw and let the mechanism
distribute it around

ps.com...