Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Genie Screw drive garage door opener

I bought a new Genie screw drive garage door opener last summer and
installed it with my friend's help. It was working fine until a few
days back it would come all the way down until the LED sensors and
then would go back up. When the door reaches the LED level, the LEDs
would blick a few times and then the door would go back up. I have
tried adjusting the limit switch positions and the "open" and "close"
screw on the panel head. I have also checked the levels of the LED
alingment and also cleaned the LED lens with no luck. One thing I
notice is that when the door is closing and if I try to hold the door
manually with my hand to check the pressure, the door does not stop.
It goes all the way until the LED level and then goes back up. I have
also checked the wiring for the LED. Any idea where the problem is???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe,

I did get a new sensor and it did not fix the problem. I will check
for any vibration in the mount as you suggested.
Ravi

On Jan 28, 2:00 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
I bought a new Genie screw drive garage door opener last summer and
installed it with my friend's help. It was working fine until a few
days back it would come all the way down until the LED sensors and
then would go back up. When the door reaches the LED level, the LEDs
would blick a few times and then the door would go back up. I have
tried adjusting the limit switch positions and the "open" and "close"
screw on the panel head. I have also checked the levels of the LED
alingment and also cleaned the LED lens with no luck. One thing I
notice is that when the door is closing and if I try to hold the door
manually with my hand to check the pressure, the door does not stop.
It goes all the way until the LED level and then goes back up. I have
also checked the wiring for the LED. Any idea where the problem is??? My guess is the door, or something on the door is breaking the light

beam. Is there maybe a loose tag or string or something? It is also
possible that the sensors are vibrating and if track mounted the track may
be twisting as it gets to that point.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I changed the red one to green with no luck. Do you need direct
sunlight? How does it work during the night? Let me know.

On Jan 28, 3:35 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Dia 's Muire duitHi,

Stray sunlight, shadow interfering with the sensor?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi,
That beam of light emitted is usually Infra-red. Usually invisible.
You can measure the output of sensor with digital multimeter blocking
and unblocking the beam of light. You should notice different meter
reading between two. My opener is also Genie screw driver but this was
installed before the days of mandatory beam sensor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I understand that it works as an IR detector, but how can a new one
not work. Also, it was working during the time it was installed and
for 4 months..only stopped a few days back..does these detector don't
work properly during winter times?

wrote:

[...]

Stray sunlight, shadow interfering with the sensor?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -Hi,

That beam of light emitted is usually Infra-red. Usually invisible.
You can measure the output of sensor with digital multimeter blocking
and unblocking the beam of light. You should notice different meter
reading between two. My opener is also Genie screw driver but this was
installed before the days of mandatory beam sensor.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Weather should not bother. But is's known stray sun light can interfere
with such a set up. Wonder if they are out of alignment.
Also they seldon go bad. I have an IR detector card which I got from
an electronics parts store. If the card faces the emitter, it produces
a well visible red dot. Think it is some kind of chemical coating on the
card which detects the presence of IR beam. Very handy gadget. You ought
to have at least a multimeter to work on this kinda stuffs. I am at
little advantage being a retired EE(digital systems).
Posted to alt.home.repair

I did install one that is red and other green. They are brand new
ones..I am a chemist and I am aware of multimeters and also the IR
card (actually, I used one of these in my grad. school)..I can't
believe we have to go throu so much to get this fixed..Well, I have
tried pretty much everything now..thanks for all of your
suggestions..I learned some here..now it is time to call GENIE

On Jan 29, 12:00 am, "Bob M." wrote:
wrote:
I changed the red one to green with no luck. Do you need direct
sunlight? How does it work during the night? Let me know.What he meant is "is sunlight blinding the sensor?" This can happen when

the sun is shining directly into one of the two sensors - they don't have
enough power to overcome the brightness of the Sun.

Also, the two sensors are not the same though they may look the same. One is
a transmitter and the other is a receiver. Did you happen to install two of
the same kind? If so, that will cause a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I finally fixed it..The problem was that the wire that connects the
sensor got twisted in the rod that moves the garage door. It got
pinched right at the spot when the door reaches the sensor and the
connection got lost. Hope this helps others..Thanks to all..