Posted to alt.home.repair

Default string trimmer head replacement

I am considering trying out one of those weed whacker head attachments
that replaces the string. I'm sure you have seen those heads that have
two or three nylon/plastic serrated things that do the cutting instead
of the string.

Has anyone used those and do they work well? Obviously they will trim
weeds, but how do they work on edging and do they mar siding finish?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 9:46 pm, "badgolferman"
wrote:
I am considering trying out one of those weed whacker head attachments
that replaces the string. I'm sure you have seen those heads that have
two or three nylon/plastic serrated things that do the cutting instead
of the string.

Has anyone used those and do they work well? Obviously they will trim
weeds, but how do they work on edging and do they mar siding finish?

I know the style you mean. It looks like a propeller except the
blades are hinged so that they fold back when they meet a fixed
object. My Stihl trimmer came with one so I have tried it. It is not
good for edging. Edging means trimming the grass where it edges an
object like a curb, tree or any fixed object. Those plastic blades,
even though they are hinged, will not stand up long to being bumped
against a fixed object. The blades can be easily replaced but are
more expensive than string.

That type of blade is designed to remove larger weeds in an open
area. They will damage your siding so keep your distance if you give
it a try.
Since it's edging that you need to do then an devoted edger would be
the best choice. A line trimmer is what is used if yu don't have an
edger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/23/2007 10:46 PM badgolferman said the following:
I am considering trying out one of those weed whacker head attachments
that replaces the string. I'm sure you have seen those heads that have
two or three nylon/plastic serrated things that do the cutting instead
of the string.

Has anyone used those and do they work well? Obviously they will trim
weeds, but how do they work on edging and do they mar siding finish?

I bought a weed whacker head at Lowes. It uses the weed whacker plastic
string, but is not rolled up inside the head, but they do include some
replacement string pieces. When you need to replace the string, you just
put 3 new pieces in the head. After you run out of the string they
provide, you just cut 3 new pieces of the string off that roll that you
already have. Pull the old string pieces out of the head from the center
of the head and thread 3 new pieces through the outside of the head.
They are held in by a one way clamp. It takes less then a half minute to
replace the string. I just keep a number of pieces in my pocket for that
far away whacking. Forgot the name and the price.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Worx GT String Trimmer [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 30th 07 01:23 PM
String Trimmer line Roy Metalworking 5 May 25th 06 03:16 AM
String Trimmer - String Replacement Device nr Home Repair 1 November 30th 05 02:45 PM
Rewinding started string spring on Ryobi string trimmer any tips? BoborAnn Home Repair 0 June 6th 05 04:52 AM
string trimmer repair Jim Talley Home Repair 1 May 21st 05 11:34 PM