Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dryer plug to two 120VAC 30A ?

I have a 4 "prong" dryer plug in my basement. Is there a converter
that will plug into it and let me plug in one or two 120VAC 30A
plugs? If there isn't such a converter, how hard would it be to
make one up? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Get a four wire dryer cord set and the 30 amp 120 volt 3 wire cord body that
you require and connect just one hot, the neutral, and the ground, leaving
the fourth wire insulated

"Reid Fleming" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 4 "prong" dryer plug in my basement. Is there a converter
that will plug into it and let me plug in one or two 120VAC 30A
plugs? If there isn't such a converter, how hard would it be to
make one up? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reid Fleming" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 4 "prong" dryer plug in my basement. Is there a converter
that will plug into it and let me plug in one or two 120VAC 30A
plugs? If there isn't such a converter, how hard would it be to
make one up? Thanks.

No such animal exists. If you need a 120V outlet, jury-rigging one from a
240V plug is not the right way to do it.
Why not replace the breaker and and plug thereby converting the line to
120V?

You could also just add new 120V line(s). You mentioned that this is
located in a basement. Don't know your specific situation, but it should
not be too tough to add a new line and outlet in a basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reid Fleming writes:

I have a 4 "prong" dryer plug in my basement. Is there a converter
that will plug into it and let me plug in one or two 120VAC 30A
plugs?

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...r/skunum=24498
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 6:47 pm, Reid Fleming
wrote:
I have a 4 "prong" dryer plug in my basement. Is there a converter
that will plug into it and let me plug in one or two 120VAC 30A
plugs? If there isn't such a converter, how hard would it be to
make one up? Thanks.

You could make an extended quad-receptacle box. 2 circuits at
120volts, each hot as feed and split neutral and ground to each.
It should be changed at the breaker...but would work. Jury rigged,
cobbled...Smoky Stovert style.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

He's asking for 30 amp. you're not going to fit quad 30 amp anything in any
standard box

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 22, 6:47 pm, Reid Fleming
wrote:
I have a 4 "prong" dryer plug in my basement. Is there a converter
that will plug into it and let me plug in one or two 120VAC 30A
plugs? If there isn't such a converter, how hard would it be to
make one up? Thanks.

You could make an extended quad-receptacle box. 2 circuits at
120volts, each hot as feed and split neutral and ground to each.
It should be changed at the breaker...but would work. Jury rigged,
cobbled...Smoky Stovert style.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 May 2007 04:32:37 -0700, wrote:

On May 23, 6:22 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
He's asking for 30 amp. you're not going to fit quad 30 amp anything in any
standard box

If he has 220/30 he ends-up with 2 at 110/15. Bite the bullet.

2 at 110/30 or 4 at 110/15.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow writes:

You could make an extended quad-receptacle box. 2 circuits at
120volts, each hot as feed and split neutral and ground to each.
It should be changed at the breaker...but would work. Jury rigged,
cobbled...Smoky Stovert style.

I took 240 from an old electric stove outlet and made two 120 strips for
my workbench. That was 15 years ago.

It will function fine in normal use. But the wiring and the outlets in
your 120 V strips are likely designed to carry 15 A, while they are
"protected" by a breaker that will carry 40 A. This isn't safe in an
overload, unless you change the breaker to a two-pole 15 A one.

Dave