Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall Texturing Question....

Has anyone here ever *roller textured* drywall using a
mixture of joint compound and paint?

I had a couple drywaller/finishers/handymen come out to bid
this job (floating my living room walls and ceiling) and neither
of them wanted to mess with it. One of the *pros* suggested
this technique w/ the mud and paint - assuming that I didn't want
to re-hang my sheetrock - and I'm just curious how well it holds up.

Is this something that I'm going to have to redo a couple years
down the road? Or will it stand the test of time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Very standard approach. Called "roller stipple" here, requires a
bit of care during application to avoid roller ridges, globs, etc
to provide a pleasant ever texture. You can get slight variations
based on length of roller nap - longer will give a heavier
texture.

I know of installs well over 30 years old with no adverse
cautions.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Kewless" wrote in message
Has anyone here ever *roller textured* drywall using a
mixture of joint compound and paint?

I had a couple drywaller/finishers/handymen come out to bid
this job (floating my living room walls and ceiling) and neither
of them wanted to mess with it. One of the *pros* suggested
this technique w/ the mud and paint - assuming that I didn't
want
to re-hang my sheetrock - and I'm just curious how well it holds
up.

Is this something that I'm going to have to redo a couple years
down the road? Or will it stand the test of time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19-May-2007, DanGwrote:

Very standard approach. Called "roller stipple" here, requires a
bit of care during application to avoid roller ridges, globs, etc
to provide a pleasant ever texture. You can get slight variations
based on length of roller nap - longer will give a heavier
texture.

I know of installs well over 30 years old with no adverse
cautions.

Thanks for your reply, Dan. And for all the info.

I ran across your primer on *roller stippling* a few months back (see
below). Unfortunately, I've seen very little else on this technique --
either online or in print. In fact, had you not mentioned it here, I doubt
I would have heard anything about it.

Why is that? Is it just not talked about in polite company? ; ))

In June of 2006, DanG wrote:

* * * Use about equal parts of paint and ready mix joint compound. Get
a long nap roller cover, 3/4 minimum - 1" plus preferred. The
paint can be any old latex junk or mismatch you have or buy. Keep
the paint in a 5 gallon bucket, not a roller tray. Lay down
plenty of tarps, use an extension handle on the roller frame, wear
old clothes. Dunk the roller into the 5, bang it back and forth
on the sides of the bucket to shed excess, roll onto the wall.
Once the wall has a full wet coat, work at getting a uniform
texture without blobs and ridges.

The texture is often called "roller stipple". * * *
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just out of curiosity...
if you let it set just a little, could you knock it down with a trowel to
give it more dimension?

Kate

In June of 2006, DanG wrote:

* * * Use about equal parts of paint and ready mix joint compound. Get
a long nap roller cover, 3/4 minimum - 1" plus preferred. The
paint can be any old latex junk or mismatch you have or buy. Keep
the paint in a 5 gallon bucket, not a roller tray. Lay down
plenty of tarps, use an extension handle on the roller frame, wear
old clothes. Dunk the roller into the 5, bang it back and forth
on the sides of the bucket to shed excess, roll onto the wall.
Once the wall has a full wet coat, work at getting a uniform
texture without blobs and ridges.

The texture is often called "roller stipple". * * *

Wood Texturing Question: Surface of Tiny Beads Brian Siano Woodworking 4 January 22nd 07 05:43 PM
drywall texturing-estimates Anthony Home Repair 3 April 23rd 06 05:16 PM
Texturing Drywall pakdog Home Repair 5 March 31st 06 03:52 AM
texturing drywall [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 22nd 05 04:06 PM
Texturing over a drywall patch - How to match knock-down?? [email protected] Home Repair 7 August 18th 05 11:15 PM