Posted to alt.home.repair
Kewless Kewless is offline

Default Drywall Texturing Question....

On 19-May-2007, DanGwrote:

Very standard approach. Called "roller stipple" here, requires a
bit of care during application to avoid roller ridges, globs, etc
to provide a pleasant ever texture. You can get slight variations
based on length of roller nap - longer will give a heavier
texture.

I know of installs well over 30 years old with no adverse
cautions.

Thanks for your reply, Dan. And for all the info.

I ran across your primer on *roller stippling* a few months back (see
below). Unfortunately, I've seen very little else on this technique --
either online or in print. In fact, had you not mentioned it here, I doubt
I would have heard anything about it.

Why is that? Is it just not talked about in polite company? ; ))

In June of 2006, DanG wrote:

* * * Use about equal parts of paint and ready mix joint compound. Get
a long nap roller cover, 3/4 minimum - 1" plus preferred. The
paint can be any old latex junk or mismatch you have or buy. Keep
the paint in a 5 gallon bucket, not a roller tray. Lay down
plenty of tarps, use an extension handle on the roller frame, wear
old clothes. Dunk the roller into the 5, bang it back and forth
on the sides of the bucket to shed excess, roll onto the wall.
Once the wall has a full wet coat, work at getting a uniform
texture without blobs and ridges.

The texture is often called "roller stipple". * * *