Posted to alt.home.repair
Sri Sri is offline

Default Question on Sump Pit

Hi,
We have a sump pit and pump in our basement. Because of the heavy
rains recently, we are getting water into the sump pit from the drain
tiles. The water is still coming into the pit, the pit fills up every
15minutes or so. The problem is, after reaching a particular level,
the water level does not raise anymore even though there is water
coming into it thru the pipe from drail tiles. It just stops at a
particular level. The sump pump is connected to the power source thru
floater. When we disconnect the floater and connect the sump pump
directly to the power and drain out the water in the pit and again
connect it to the floater power, the next time water level raises and
reaches a level where the floater kicks off the sump pump. The second
time onwards, the water level remains same no matter how much water
comes from the pipe connected to drain tiles. Where is this water
going? Why does not it raise to a level where the floater kicks off
the sump pump? The pit liner is perforated. Is the water going thru
these holes into the ground? If so, at some point it water level
should raise. But even after an hour of observation, the water level
does not raise. Please help us understand whats happening.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sri" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It sounds as though the water in the pit is leveling off at the level of the
ground water. Your water table is probably quite high right now. Be happy
that the water is not going higher. Is there any way to adjust the float
switch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, Sri says...

[...]

It the water level not raising once it gets to the height of the output from the
drain tiles? If so, that's because it takes quite a lot of water to fill the
tile system.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Banty" wrote in message
[...]

Plus most basement floors are built over about 6" of loose gravel. It can
take several hours, depending on the water flow, to fill all the gravel
under the floor and around the foundation. It is not good to allow the water
to fill this area as it will then start soaking in through the concrete or
seeping up through cracks and openings, and then it will take quite a while
to dry out again adding humidity to the basement which can cause moulds to
grow.

For a dry basement keep that water level down in the sump and let the pump
remove all that keeps pouring in. Don't play with a system that is working.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sri Sri is offline

On May 17, 5:16 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Sri" wrote in message

[...]

switch?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your reply. There is no way to adjust the float switch for
our pump. But because of the heavy rain recently, we had water into
our basement. Water was seeping thru the floor cracks and floor-wall
joints. Is it because of the ground water level raised at one point?
We are not sure if it is the surface water or the ground water. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
"Sri" wrote in message

[...]

It may be coming in from above, but leveling off at the ground water level.
As others have suggested it may be possible that the water is filling up
crevices and cavities under your floor. Wait overnight and see how high the
water gets.

I grew up in a house that had an underground stream running below it. We
always knew what the ground water level was by the water height in our two
sump holes. Sometimes it didn't rain for weeks, but we still had water in
the sump holes though it was at a lower level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 12:11 am, Sri wrote:
[...]

Maybe the water is being siphoned out?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sri Sri is offline

On May 17, 2:15 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Sri" wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 17, 5:16 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Sri" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

the sump holes though it was at a lower level.- Hide quoted text -

When we had the water on the basement floor, water coming thru the
drain tiles pipe was so fast that the sump pump would turn on every 5
minutes because there was so much water that it was not able to level
out. Now the water stopped coming thru the cracks on the floor, but
still water keeps coming into the sump pit thru the pipe. Even though
we wait overnight, it does not seem to raise at all to a point where
it has to drain off. I think we need to wait for one more week and see
if the water still stays in the sump pit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sri" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 17, 2:15 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:

oups.com...

"Sri" wrote in message

[...]

It sounds as though that is the level of the ground water. Use a stick and
measure it every day to see if it goes down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om, Sri says...

On May 17, 2:15 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:

oups.com...

"Sri" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like the ground water level is still high, then.

IT's not unusual for water to be always in the sump pit. IT's just that you
haven't experienced rains like the recent ones and such a high water table
level.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

How far below the floor is the water when it trips the pump on? If
it's set to come on when it's too high, that could contribute to water
showing up on the floor in parts of the basement.

Question on sump pit Sri Home Repair 5 May 20th 07 02:38 PM
dam around sump pit [email protected] Home Repair 14 November 8th 06 04:04 PM
Filling in an old sump pit? Matt Morgan Home Repair 4 April 4th 05 03:16 AM
Location for new sump pit, etc Puddin' Man Home Repair 6 December 7th 03 07:44 PM
Specify/Install Sump Pit and Sump Pump Puddin' Man Home Repair 4 November 26th 03 03:59 PM