Posted to alt.home.repair
Sri Sri is offline

Default Question on sump pit

Hi,
We have a sump pit and pump in our basement. Because of the heavy
rains recently, we are getting water into the sump pit from the drain
tiles. The water is still coming into the pit, the pit fills up every
15minutes or so. The problem is, after reaching a particular level,
the water level does not raise anymore even though there is water
coming into it thru the pipe from drail tiles. It just stops at a
particular level. The sump pump is connected to the power source thru
floater. When we disconnect the floater and connect the sump pump
directly to the power and drain out the water in the pit and again
connect it to the floater power, the next time water level raises and
reaches a level where the floater kicks off the sump pump. The second
time onwards, the water level remains same no matter how much water
comes from the pipe connected to drain tiles. Where is this water
going? Why does not it raise to a level where the floater kicks off
the sump pump? The pit liner is perforated. Is the water going thru
these holes into the ground? If so, at some point it water level
should raise. But even after an hour of observation, the water level
does not raise. Please help us understand whats happening.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
Sri wrote:

We have a sump pit and pump in our basement. Because of the heavy
rains recently, we are getting water into the sump pit from the drain
tiles. The water is still coming into the pit, the pit fills up every
15minutes or so. The problem is, after reaching a particular level,
the water level does not raise anymore even though there is water
coming into it thru the pipe from drail tiles. It just stops at a
particular level...after an hour of observation, the water level
does not raise. Please help us understand whats happening.

The sump is doing its job. You might adjust the pump float so it does NOT
turn on until the water level is higher, providing protection only when truly
needed.
--

JR

No project too small
All projects too big
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sri wrote:

[...]

Since most sump pumps are centrifugal pumps, there's an open path
between their input and output even when they are stopped.

So, I'll make a WAG that the pipe or hose connected to the output of
your sump pump may have its far end located lower than the top of the
sump pit and once the pump runs a while and fills up that line it may
continue to drain water from the sump pit through plain old syphon action.

Think that's a possibility? Do you know where the end of the drain line
is and can you see it to determine if water is running out of it even
when the pump is stopped?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sri Sri is offline

On May 18, 5:34 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Sri wrote:
[...]

The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.- Hide quoted text -

Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. That is a good point. But, we cannot see the
output of the pump. The builder said it is connected to the city storm
sewer drainage. He also said that there are some holes on the bottom
of the pit too, but he could not tell us why the water level was not
raising. We will need to find out more about the output of the pump.
THanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sri wrote:
[...]

THanks.- Hide quoted text -

sounds like a natural siphon effect, this is great news it will
protect yu during a power outage

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sri Sri is offline

Sri wrote:
[...]

protect yu during a power outage- Hide quoted text -

This could be a siphon effect. I am wondering why this works only
after a second time? I mean, after we drain this out manually, the pit
fills up first time till it drains off by the floater. Why does the
siphon effect only works only for the second time?
Thanks.