Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kinetico water softener opinions

We are looking at one of these for our new house with reverse osmosis under
the sink filters. The water hardness there is like near 12. Anyone have
one of these spendy things? Like it? Hate it?

They don't matter a lot to me. I can shower in any old water, but the wife
insists it makes a big difference in bathing, dishwashing, and clothes
washing.

(I made her a deal. She gets this, I get a boat, so it ain't so bad.)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
We are looking at one of these for our new house with reverse osmosis
under the sink filters. The water hardness there is like near 12. Anyone
have one of these spendy things? Like it? Hate it?

They don't matter a lot to me. I can shower in any old water, but the
wife insists it makes a big difference in bathing, dishwashing, and
clothes washing.

(I made her a deal. She gets this, I get a boat, so it ain't so bad.)

Steve

The Kinetico I bought in 1985 cost $1,500 and only lasted 10 years. When I
called the service company, they wanted over $1,200 to repair it and over
$3,000 to replace it. Yeah, right. It worked just fine, but only for 10
years. I replaced it with something from the big box store in 1995, and that
one's still working fine. It only cost $800. I would NEVER buy Kinetico
again. I only got it for softening, since our water is off-the-chart hard.
Without a softener the water pipes would get so blocked up with crud the
water pressure would be zero.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 May 2007 21:00:32 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

We are looking at one of these for our new house with reverse osmosis under
the sink filters. The water hardness there is like near 12. Anyone have
one of these spendy things? Like it? Hate it?

They don't matter a lot to me. I can shower in any old water, but the wife
insists it makes a big difference in bathing, dishwashing, and clothes
washing.

(I made her a deal. She gets this, I get a boat, so it ain't so bad.)

Steve

I don't have the brand you mention. A local company (Hanson) wanted
over $1,000.00 to rebuild (10 year old) the meter and change resin in
my softener. I ordered a new system (digital vs manual settings)
online yesterday.

Total cost $447.xx. No tax or shipping. The exact model I have, except
it is digital. They ship from Ohio or Arizona. The site has a
calculator for sizing the system.

Save money and spend it on fuel for the boat.

See:

http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/index.htm

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We are looking at one of these for our new house with reverse osmosis under
the sink filters. The water hardness there is like near 12. Anyone have
one of these spendy things? Like it? Hate it?

BTW, the SNWA site posts the water hardness.*

*The SNWA water hardness is about 313 parts per million (ppm) or 18.3
grains per gallon.

Size your system for 20 GPG, based I the calculator (the site I
posted).

What kind of boat?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We are looking at one of these for our new house with reverse osmosis
under
the sink filters. The water hardness there is like near 12. Anyone have
one of these spendy things? Like it? Hate it?

BTW, the SNWA site posts the water hardness.*

*The SNWA water hardness is about 313 parts per million (ppm) or 18.3
grains per gallon.

Size your system for 20 GPG, based I the calculator (the site I
posted).

What kind of boat?

A 14' to 16' aluminum V hull with a 20 Merc or 15 Evinrude to fish the small
lakes up in Utah. An old fart boat.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 May 2007 12:51:13 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

We are looking at one of these for our new house with reverse osmosis
under
the sink filters. The water hardness there is like near 12. Anyone have
one of these spendy things? Like it? Hate it?

BTW, the SNWA site posts the water hardness.*

Southern Nevada Water Authority (snwa.com)

*The SNWA water hardness is about 313 parts per million (ppm) or 18.3
grains per gallon.

Size your system for 20 GPG, based I the calculator (the site I
posted).

What kind of boat?

A 14' to 16' aluminum V hull with a 20 Merc or 15 Evinrude to fish the small
lakes up in Utah. An old fart boat.

Steve

Some lakes might not allow engines, except electric - I think.

Had a 15 Yamaha once... some how I'm still attached to that motor.

Replaced a lower unit once, it was a well abused motor and took us
into many backwaters of Florida.

(check bass pro on dean martin drive).
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote What kind of boat?

A 14' to 16' aluminum V hull with a 20 Merc or 15 Evinrude to fish the
small
lakes up in Utah. An old fart boat.

Steve

Some lakes might not allow engines, except electric - I think.

Had a 15 Yamaha once... some how I'm still attached to that motor.

Replaced a lower unit once, it was a well abused motor and took us
into many backwaters of Florida.

(check bass pro on dean martin drive).
--
Oren

Ayup. I've tramped the backwoods of Utah a lot, and know all the rules, and
read the changes each year in the proclamations. Some lakes that have
beavers in them have a no propeller rule. No motor, electric or whatever.

I had a 15 Evinrude, and a 9.9 too. Great motors.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/index.htm

--
Oren

Thanks for posting that site, Oren. I think these guys will supply my next
softener! Their prices rock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 May 2007 16:52:29 -0400, h wrote:

Thanks for posting that site, Oren. I think these guys will supply my next
softener! Their prices rock.

I only bought here. Not being a softener person I can replace an
entire unit FOR $447 vs 1K for a service repair/replacement. I just
did my home work. Somehow; after many visits to the site, they went on
sale.

BTW this is with existing softener plumbing. Mine will be out of the
box and attached, if I take an hour or so.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 5:14 pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2007 16:52:29 -0400, h wrote:
Thanks for posting that site, Oren. I think these guys will supply my next
softener! Their prices rock.

I only bought here. Not being asoftenerperson I can replace an
entire unit FOR $447 vs 1K for a service repair/replacement. I just
did my home work. Somehow; after many visits to the site, they went on
sale.

BTW this is with existingsoftenerplumbing. Mine will be out of the
box and attached, if I take an hour or so.
--
Oren

That web site is doing things a bit different than industry standard.
They are selling softeners larger than Fleck Controls says the 5600
should be used on. Check that out on their Product Details link.
http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com...00se_lores.pdf

They are using much higher SFR gpm figures than their distributor
publishes for the same size softener, I buy from the same distributor.
They playing with the peak and continuous flow rates of the softener
and don't say which they are showing you. They are not using the
continuous flow rate when they say @15 psi pressure drop.

A 1.0 cuft (32K) has a 9 gpm SFR no matter how much or little you pay
for it. That's good for no more than a 1.5 bathroom house.... That's
because every time you run more water than the SFR gpm, the softener
can not remove all the hardness in the water.

I size for the continuous flow rate and if you run more gpm, you then
get a higher gpm figure @15 psi loss but you can only run the water at
that flow rate a couple minutes before you start getting hard water
through the softener.

To learn more about correctly sizing a softener (note, not at the same
web site) including the SFR goto;
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.co...izingchart.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 May 2007 14:30:12 -0700, Gary Slusser wrote:

That web site is doing things a bit different than industry standard.

I'll call Craig. As I said earlier, I'm not a softener person. Both of
you are in business and I'm just a DIY guy.

They are selling softeners larger than Fleck Controls says the 5600
should be used on.

Not sure I get this?

Check that out on their Product Details link.
http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com...00se_lores.pdf

Can you clarify what you mean; compared to posted material here.

http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/flow_rates.htm

They are using much higher SFR gpm figures than their distributor
publishes for the same size softener, I buy from the same distributor.
They playing with the peak and continuous flow rates of the softener
and don't say which they are showing you. They are not using the
continuous flow rate when they say @15 psi pressure drop.

More flow rate info.

http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/FAQS.htm#q15

A 1.0 cuft (32K) has a 9 gpm SFR no matter how much or little you pay
for it. That's good for no more than a 1.5 bathroom house.... That's
because every time you run more water than the SFR gpm, the softener
can not remove all the hardness in the water.

For 12 years a 1.0 cu ft softener has served to people; in two houses.
I replaced my system with a like system.

I size for the continuous flow rate and if you run more gpm, you then
get a higher gpm figure @15 psi loss but you can only run the water at
that flow rate a couple minutes before you start getting hard water
through the softener.

To learn more about correctly sizing a softener (note, not at the same
web site) including the SFR goto;

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 3:58 pm, Oren wrote:
On 18 May 2007 14:30:12 -0700, Gary Slusser wrote:

That web site is doing things a bit different than industry standard.

I'll call Craig. As I said earlier, I'm not a softener person. Both of
you are in business and I'm just a DIY guy.

The last I knew he was in KS or MO selling water treatment chemicals
and his son or someone else was running the web site in CA.

They are selling softeners larger than Fleck Controls says the 5600
should be used on.

Not sure I get this?

Check that out on their Product Details link.
http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com...00se_lores.pdf

Can you clarify what you mean; compared to posted material here.

The Fleck spec sheet says the largest tank a 5600 can be used on is a
12" for a softener and 10" for a filter. The link I pasted is the
Fleck spec sheet.

http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/flow_rates.htm
http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/FAQS.htm#q15

I do not agree with those flow rates and as I said, they are higher
than the distributor publishes.

For 12 years a 1.0 cu ft softener has served to people; in two houses.
I replaced my system with a like system.

Then you didn't use more than 9 gpm. Did the softener always give you
soft water?