Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Kinetico water softener opinions

On 18 May 2007 14:30:12 -0700, Gary Slusser wrote:

That web site is doing things a bit different than industry standard.

I'll call Craig. As I said earlier, I'm not a softener person. Both of
you are in business and I'm just a DIY guy.

They are selling softeners larger than Fleck Controls says the 5600
should be used on.

Not sure I get this?

Check that out on their Product Details link.
http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com...00se_lores.pdf

Can you clarify what you mean; compared to posted material here.

http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/flow_rates.htm

They are using much higher SFR gpm figures than their distributor
publishes for the same size softener, I buy from the same distributor.
They playing with the peak and continuous flow rates of the softener
and don't say which they are showing you. They are not using the
continuous flow rate when they say @15 psi pressure drop.

More flow rate info.

http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/FAQS.htm#q15

A 1.0 cuft (32K) has a 9 gpm SFR no matter how much or little you pay
for it. That's good for no more than a 1.5 bathroom house.... That's
because every time you run more water than the SFR gpm, the softener
can not remove all the hardness in the water.

For 12 years a 1.0 cu ft softener has served to people; in two houses.
I replaced my system with a like system.

I size for the continuous flow rate and if you run more gpm, you then
get a higher gpm figure @15 psi loss but you can only run the water at
that flow rate a couple minutes before you start getting hard water
through the softener.

To learn more about correctly sizing a softener (note, not at the same
web site) including the SFR goto;

--
Oren