Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1/4 inch valve wrench

On a regular basis, I need to turn 1/4 square shaft on a service
valve. The valve wrenches designed for this work very nicely, but
some how once in awhile the valve wrench isn't in my tool box.
And the ratcheting action wrench is pricey. I'd like to have a
couple stamped out inexpensive wrenches to have in my tool box.

I considered an acetylene B or MC tank wrench, but these are
3/16.

How would I get a 1/4 square stamped out wrench?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 15, 8:52 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
On a regular basis, I need to turn 1/4 square shaft on a service
valve. The valve wrenches designed for this work very nicely, but
some how once in awhile the valve wrench isn't in my tool box.
And the ratcheting action wrench is pricey. I'd like to have a
couple stamped out inexpensive wrenches to have in my tool box.

I considered an acetylene B or MC tank wrench, but these are
3/16.

How would I get a 1/4 square stamped out wrench?

Is this the same valve or are you traveling? Seems like if the former
just leave one there.

But, that obivousness aside ( ), I've done specialty things like
weld a length onto a standard open end/combination wrench after
chopping off the box end, tacking a permanent handle onto a socket,
etc. I don't have a punch, but if that were what really needed, I'd
take a piece of flat stock to a local machine shop and have them punch
it for me. Couldn't be more than a couple bucks for the guy here that
I use regularly...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On a regular basis, I need to turn 1/4 square shaft on a service
valve. The valve wrenches designed for this work very nicely, but
some how once in awhile the valve wrench isn't in my tool box.
And the ratcheting action wrench is pricey. I'd like to have a
couple stamped out inexpensive wrenches to have in my tool box.

I considered an acetylene B or MC tank wrench, but these are
3/16.

How would I get a 1/4 square stamped out wrench?

How about welding a "handle" onto a junker 1/4" drive socket and using
the drive end of that socket as the "wrench". That'd give you a nice
deep 1/4" square "socket".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:
[...]

or drill a smaller hole yourself,and use a file to enlarge the hole to the
right size and shape.
If you want to get fancy,heat-treat it yourself,in the charcoal grill.
(use a hairdryer to get the heat up high enough)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On a regular basis, I need to turn 1/4 square shaft on a service
valve. The valve wrenches designed for this work very nicely, but
some how once in awhile the valve wrench isn't in my tool box.
And the ratcheting action wrench is pricey. I'd like to have a
couple stamped out inexpensive wrenches to have in my tool box.

I considered an acetylene B or MC tank wrench, but these are
3/16.

How would I get a 1/4 square stamped out wrench?

Aren't these used to turn gas log lighters on and off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

socket on the end of a hex wrench. Now you're talking. I do
brazing, but typically copper to copper. Steel to steel is a new
thing for me.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
:
: That was my thinking. You can usually find loose sockets at
yard sales
: and pawn shops for a quarter each or less. You can use the
appropriate
: sized allen wrench that fits the working end of the socket for
: handle.The other thing you can do if you don't weld/braze is to
epoxy
: them on but I get the idea this is an HVAC guy. He brazes all
the
: time..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Travelling. Might be a different valve every couple days.

I'll check with a local machine shop, though the socket backwards
on the allen key sounds like a winner.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: Is this the same valve or are you traveling? Seems like if the
former
: just leave one there.
:
: But, that obivousness aside ( ), I've done specialty things
like
: weld a length onto a standard open end/combination wrench after
: chopping off the box end, tacking a permanent handle onto a
socket,
: etc. I don't have a punch, but if that were what really
needed, I'd
: take a piece of flat stock to a local machine shop and have
them punch
: it for me. Couldn't be more than a couple bucks for the guy
here that
: I use regularly...
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

For that ammount of labor, I'd buy a $11 ratcheting valve wrench
and be done with it. How about something already made, and
costing about a buck?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
:
: or drill a smaller hole yourself,and use a file to enlarge the
hole to the
: right size and shape.
: If you want to get fancy,heat-treat it yourself,in the charcoal
grill.
: (use a hairdryer to get the heat up high enough)
:
:
: --
: Jim Yanik
: jyanik
: at
: kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

A friend of mine suggested that. It's a very valid idea, though
it's a bit more three dimensional than a flat stamped out wrench.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
: How about welding a "handle" onto a junker 1/4" drive socket
and using
: the drive end of that socket as the "wrench". That'd give you a
nice
: deep 1/4" square "socket".
:
: Jeff
:
: --
: Jeffry Wisnia
: (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
: The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll have to check. I remember seeing 5/16 at one fireplace
display at Home Cheepo. That may be the answer.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
: How would I get a 1/4 square stamped out wrench?
:
: Aren't these used to turn gas log lighters on and off?
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 15, 8:16 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Travelling. Might be a different valve every couple days.

I'll check with a local machine shop, though the socket backwards
on the allen key sounds like a winner.

Actually, I'll agree that's a pretty quick solution -- one enhancement
on the idea would be to use one of the ratcheting box end wrenches w/
it if you have a set of them...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why not just buy a good quality 4 inch adjustable wrench, about $12, and
keep in in your pocket or on your keyring?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
:
: or drill a smaller hole yourself,and use a file to enlarge the
hole to the
: right size and shape.
: If you want to get fancy,heat-treat it yourself,in the charcoal
grill.
: (use a hairdryer to get the heat up high enough)

some people LIKE tool-making! (or improvising)
It builds useful skills.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have tried adjustable wrenches. The valves are often rusted,
and the four sided shaft rounds off, instead of turning.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Larry W" wrote in message
: Why not just buy a good quality 4 inch adjustable wrench, about
$12, and
: keep in in your pocket or on your keyring?
: --
: There are no stupid questions, but there are lots of stupid
answers.
:
: Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.
lonestar. org