Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wirenutting twisted and solid wire

Does anyone have a sure fire method for wirenutting/pigtailing stranded and
solid wire together? Seems like when I do it half the time the stranded
will pull out when light force is applied to the wire. Does it help to cut
the solid wire a bit shorter than the stranded wire so that the stranded
wire can wrap around the end of the solid wire and not push out when screwed
onto the wire nut?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Some types of wire nuts just grab better than others. Twist the wires
together then cut the end off so they're even, then screw on the nut. Be
sure to hold both the wires together tightly as you screw on the nut

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone have a sure fire method for wirenutting/pigtailing stranded
and solid wire together? Seems like when I do it half the time the
stranded will pull out when light force is applied to the wire. Does it
help to cut the solid wire a bit shorter than the stranded wire so that
the stranded wire can wrap around the end of the solid wire and not push
out when screwed onto the wire nut?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Put the stranded wire into the wire nut first, then add the solid,
so the stranded is deeper in the wire nut, the threads will cut
into the solid and have a good hold of the stranded.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone have a sure fire method for wirenutting/pigtailing
stranded and solid wire together? Seems like when I do it half
the time the stranded will pull out when light force is applied
to the wire. Does it help to cut the solid wire a bit shorter
than the stranded wire so that the stranded wire can wrap around
the end of the solid wire and not push out when screwed onto the
wire nut?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone have a sure fire method for wirenutting/pigtailing stranded

and
solid wire together? Seems like when I do it half the time the stranded
will pull out when light force is applied to the wire. Does it help to

cut
the solid wire a bit shorter than the stranded wire so that the stranded
wire can wrap around the end of the solid wire and not push out when

screwed
onto the wire nut?

I always twist the wires together using pliers before I screw on the
wirenut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:
Does anyone have a sure fire method for wirenutting/pigtailing stranded and
solid wire together? Seems like when I do it half the time the stranded
will pull out when light force is applied to the wire. Does it help to cut
the solid wire a bit shorter than the stranded wire so that the stranded
wire can wrap around the end of the solid wire and not push out when screwed
onto the wire nut?

That always works well for me.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
Put the stranded wire into the wire nut first, then add the solid, so the
stranded is deeper in the wire nut, the threads will cut into the solid
and have a good hold of the stranded.

--
______________________________

Alright, I've give that a shot. Sounds like the stranded gets essentially
"stuffed" into the wire nut by the solid.

BTW: It does help to use good wire nuts. The ones that I have are
perfectly fine for 2 12 gauge, but with stranded they tend to be less
secure.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone have a sure fire method for wirenutting/pigtailing stranded
and solid wire together? Seems like when I do it half the time the
stranded will pull out when light force is applied to the wire. Does it
help to cut the solid wire a bit shorter than the stranded wire so that
the stranded wire can wrap around the end of the solid wire and not push
out when screwed onto the wire nut?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Some types of wire nuts just grab better than others. Twist the wires
together then cut the end off so they're even, then screw on the nut. Be
sure to hold both the wires together tightly as you screw on the nut

possibly then its the wire nut. How you describe it sounds like my
technique, so maybe a better wire nut will help?

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone have a sure fire method for wirenutting/pigtailing stranded
and solid wire together? Seems like when I do it half the time the
stranded will pull out when light force is applied to the wire. Does it
help to cut the solid wire a bit shorter than the stranded wire so that
the stranded wire can wrap around the end of the solid wire and not push
out when screwed onto the wire nut?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Eigenvector"
wrote:
Does anyone have a sure fire method for wirenutting/pigtailing stranded
and
solid wire together? Seems like when I do it half the time the stranded
will pull out when light force is applied to the wire. Does it help to
cut
the solid wire a bit shorter than the stranded wire so that the stranded
wire can wrap around the end of the solid wire and not push out when
screwed
onto the wire nut?

That always works well for me.

--
Regards,

Sounds like you and DanG are in agreement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Does anyone have a sure fire method for wirenutting/pigtailing stranded and
solid wire together? Seems like when I do it half the time the stranded
will pull out when light force is applied to the wire. Does it help to cut
the solid wire a bit shorter than the stranded wire so that the stranded
wire can wrap around the end of the solid wire and not push out when screwed
onto the wire nut?

Greetings,

Although your connections should be secure without this "trick" you
can try continuing to turn the wire nut until the insulated portion of
the wires twists as well (for a short distance). This reduces the
chances that the wires will pull out in practice. DON'T OVERTWIST THE
INSULATED WIRES or you may damage the insulation.

Hope this helps,
William

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2007 16:08:02 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Does anyone have a sure fire method for wirenutting/pigtailing stranded and
solid wire together? Seems like when I do it half the time the stranded
will pull out when light force is applied to the wire. Does it help to cut
the solid wire a bit shorter than the stranded wire so that the stranded
wire can wrap around the end of the solid wire and not push out when screwed
onto the wire nut?

You answered your own question.

The trick is to twist the all the solids. Then when you put the
stranded beside the copper let the strands stick up a little farther
than the solid. It will make a solid catch every time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Actually, IMHO you are better off to not twist the wires together prior to
inserting them into the wire nut based on my experience. The quality of the
wire nut also matters.