Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do I need to mud/tape and/or paint before I tile?

Is there a need to mud, tape, sand (yes, sand), and prime the
wallboard before installing wall tile? I'd like to avoid some or all
of these steps and, in so doing, shave a month or so off the project
time (yes, I said a month). Any advice is appreciated.

-Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

You don't have to do anything, but if the results are not satisfactory, you
have only yourself to blame.

"Mike" wrote in message
ps.com...
Is there a need to mud, tape, sand (yes, sand), and prime the
wallboard before installing wall tile? I'd like to avoid some or all
of these steps and, in so doing, shave a month or so off the project
time (yes, I said a month). Any advice is appreciated.

-Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 12, 10:53 am, Mike wrote:
Is there a need to mud, tape, sand (yes, sand), and prime the
wallboard before installing wall tile? I'd like to avoid some or all
of these steps and, in so doing, shave a month or so off the project
time (yes, I said a month). Any advice is appreciated.

-Mike

If you're not using the newer wallboard types rated for under tile
use, just slop it together any old way. I won't last but a few years
anyway.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Is there a need to mud, tape, sand (yes, sand), and prime the
wallboard before installing wall tile? I'd like to avoid some or all
of these steps and, in so doing, shave a month or so off the project
time (yes, I said a month). Any advice is appreciated.

-Mike

You don't even have to tile, if you don't want. After all, you are your
own boss.
Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"Mike" wrote in message
ps.com...
| Is there a need to mud, tape, sand (yes, sand),

................mud , tape 1 coat to seal wall joints
................and no sanding is required

and prime the
| wallboard before installing wall tile?

...............no need to prime

I'd like to avoid some or all
| of these steps and, in so doing, shave a month or so off the project
| time (yes, I said a month).

..................you just shaved off 2 weeks worth of work (for you
anyway)

Any advice is appreciated.

................I hope this advice is appreciated.
................seeing how no one else answered you.

| -Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 6:17 am, "3G" wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

ps.com...
| Is there a need tomud,tape, sand (yes, sand),

...............mud,tape1 coat to seal wall joints
...............and no sanding is required

and prime the
| wallboard before installing walltile?

..............no need to prime

I'd like to avoid some or all
| of these steps and, in so doing, shave a month or so off the project
| time (yes, I said a month).

.................you just shaved off 2 weeks worth of work (for you
anyway)

The problem is that I only get a few hours on the weekend that I can
devote to this project, so any savings is significant.

Any advice is appreciated.

...............I hope this advice is appreciated.
...............seeing how no one else answered you.

My thoughts exactly. And, indeed, it is appreciated. I've often
wondered why people bother responding if they can neither answer the
question nor offer any useful advice.

-Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 8:08 pm, "EXT" wrote:
You don't have to do anything, but if the results are not satisfactory, you
have only yourself to blame.

Is that a yes, a no, or an 'I don't know'?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 9:07 pm, Joe wrote:
On May 12, 10:53 am, Mike wrote:

Is there a need tomud,tape, sand (yes, sand), and prime the
wallboard before installing walltile? I'd like to avoid some or all
of these steps and, in so doing, shave a month or so off the project
time (yes, I said a month). Any advice is appreciated.

-Mike

If you're not using the newer wallboard types rated for undertile
use, just slop it together any old way. I won't last but a few years
anyway.

Humor me - let's pretend, just for the sake of my question, that I'm
using the correct type of wallboard. If you really don't know, why
waste the bandwidth answering a question that I didn't ask?

-Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 13, 1:44 pm, Mike wrote:
On May 12, 9:07 pm, Joe wrote:

On May 12, 10:53 am, Mike wrote:

Is there a need tomud,tape, sand (yes, sand), and prime the
wallboard before installing walltile? I'd like to avoid some or all
of these steps and, in so doing, shave a month or so off the project
time (yes, I said a month). Any advice is appreciated.

-Mike

If you're not using the newer wallboard types rated for undertile
use, just slop it together any old way. I won't last but a few years
anyway.

Humor me - let's pretend, just for the sake of my question, that I'm
using the correct type of wallboard. If you really don't know, why
waste the bandwidth answering a question that I didn't ask?

-Mike

Just pretnding that you have sutable substrate, any one who has even
dabbled or worked with tile will tell you that NOTHING beats dead flat
for getting a decent job. So tape it, setting type mud or whatever,
sand it dead flat and tile. The reason you do that is because when you
come to the humps, the grout lines get noticeably bigger. If you don't
care then it doesn't matter. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 2:40 pm, Joe wrote:
On May 13, 1:44 pm, Mike wrote:

On May 12, 9:07 pm, Joe wrote:

On May 12, 10:53 am, Mike wrote:

[...]

No need to pretend - this wall will never see water, so a $5 sheet of
1/2" sheetrock will do just fine. I've done a fair amount of tiling
over the years and, on a new wall, I've always taped, mudded, and
primed before tiling. It's always been 'dead flat' before I started.
If time wasn't a consideration, I wouldn't even have asked the
question. Surely, you can appreciate my desire to find out which
corners I can safely cut without compromising the job (my 'month'
comment was not an exaggeration).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 10:28 pm, Mike wrote:
On May 14, 2:40 pm, Joe wrote:

On May 13, 1:44 pm, Mike wrote:

On May 12, 9:07 pm, Joe wrote:

On May 12, 10:53 am, Mike wrote:

[...]

comment was not an exaggeration).- Hide quoted text -

I tile right over the un-prepped wallboard. Been doing it for 15
years this way - no problems.

Vin - http://AutoSmash.com