Posted to alt.home.repair
OldRoads OldRoads is offline

Default Do I need to mud/tape and/or paint before I tile?

On May 14, 10:28 pm, Mike wrote:
On May 14, 2:40 pm, Joe wrote:

On May 13, 1:44 pm, Mike wrote:

On May 12, 9:07 pm, Joe wrote:

On May 12, 10:53 am, Mike wrote:

Is there a need tomud,tape, sand (yes, sand), andprimethe
wallboard before installing walltile? I'd like to avoid some or all
of these steps and, in so doing, shave a month or so off the project
time (yes, I said a month). Any advice is appreciated.

-Mike

If you're not using the newer wallboard types rated for undertile
use, just slop it together any old way. I won't last but a few years
anyway.

Humor me - let's pretend, just for the sake of my question, that I'm
using the correct type of wallboard. If you really don't know, why
waste the bandwidth answering a question that I didn't ask?

-Mike

Just pretnding that you have sutable substrate, any one who has even
dabbled or worked withtilewill tell you that NOTHING beats dead flat
for getting a decent job. So tape it, setting typemudor whatever,
sand it dead flat andtile. The reason you do that is because when you
come to the humps, the grout lines get noticeably bigger. If you don't
care then it doesn't matter. Good luck.

No need to pretend - this wall will never see water, so a $5 sheet of
1/2" sheetrock will do just fine. I've done a fair amount of tiling
over the years and, on a new wall, I've always taped, mudded, and
primed before tiling. It's always been 'dead flat' before I started.
If time wasn't a consideration, I wouldn't even have asked the
question. Surely, you can appreciate my desire to find out which
corners I can safely cut without compromising the job (my 'month'
comment was not an exaggeration).- Hide quoted text -

I tile right over the un-prepped wallboard. Been doing it for 15
years this way - no problems.

Vin - http://AutoSmash.com